Thread: nvidia-glx-new and xserver-glx in hardy

Beans

nvidia-glx-new and xserver-glx in hardy

This is a copy of a thread i opened in Absolute Beginner Talk.

I kinda new to this stuff, so i'm just looking for an explanation.

What's the deal with the nvidia-glx and the xserver-glx? What does each do? Can they both be running?

Right now i have both installed. Certain things seem to be running faster (like compiz and stuff), but some games are running slower.

Before, i had just the nvidia drivers installed (from the ubuntu repositories), and i had the opposite going on (faster games, slower compiz).

Also, after installing xserver-glx, i noticed some strange lines appearing at the top of windows when i move it around or switch desktops using the cube.

So, should i keep xserver-glx or not?

P.S. if important, graphics card is nvidia 8-something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: nvidia-glx-new and xserver-glx in hardy

Quote Originally Posted by AlokaParyetra View Post
    This is a copy of a thread i opened in Absolute Beginner Talk.

I kinda new to this stuff, so i'm just looking for an explanation.

What's the deal with the nvidia-glx and the xserver-glx? What does each do? Can they both be running?

Right now i have both installed. Certain things seem to be running faster (like compiz and stuff), but some games are running slower.

Before, i had just the nvidia drivers installed (from the ubuntu repositories), and i had the opposite going on (faster games, slower compiz).

Also, after installing xserver-glx, i noticed some strange lines appearing at the top of windows when i move it around or switch desktops using the cube.

So, should i keep xserver-glx or not?

P.S. if important, graphics card is nvidia 8-something.
    Hi and welcome, please do not create multiple threads on the same issue.
    With that being said I have never used xgl ( I believe you are reffering to) with the nvidia graphics. I have used it with the ATI graphics to achieve the use of the desktop effects in previous version of Ubuntu. I am sure with a little searching of the web and the forums you can satisfy your questions on that model of graphics card.