Thread: Newbie help needed with sound and mic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Newbie help needed with sound and mic

Hey guys, just installed Ubuntu for the first time a couple of days ago and am having a bit of issues that hopefully someone here can help me with.

1st. Sound comes from both my laptop speakers as well as my externals at the same time and it doesnt seem as loud as it was with Windows.

2nd. I cant seem to get my ingtegrated mic to work and i use Skype a lot so really need to get that working.

3rd. I have a HP Photosmart C5180 printer which didnt install either. I have it plugged into a USB port.

I have a Acer Extensa 4420-5239 laptop.
    Any help would be great!!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Newbie help needed with sound and mic

Okay so i have the sound problem figured out. Weird but i just unplugged the speakers and then plugged them right back in and it works like it should but i have to do this every time i log in. No biggy but today its decided to throw in a staticy sound from either speakers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This happened to my laptop's right built in speaker.Double click on the volume icon and go to Edit>Preferences And check Mic Boost then lower it down all the way.That's what fixed mine.

Beans
    Distro

Thats already how mine is set. Did you maybe mean uncheck it? Thanks though.