Thread: /home in FAT32 or NTFS partition

Beans

/home in FAT32 or NTFS partition

Hi everyone, I'm planning on dual booting vista and hardy, and instead of having a user folder for each operating system, I was thinking of moving the vista user folder onto a different partition, either FAT32 or NTFS depending on what would work, and set that partition also as my ubuntu home directory. I found how to move the directory in vista, but before I do the dual boot, does anyone know of any complications I could see? Any comments would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: /home in FAT32 or NTFS partition

Bad move, I think. It may work in theory, but I believe you will find that there is no-one who would recommend this file system for your /home partition. I suspect others with more know-how will tell you why, but, I'm afraid I don't know enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not a good idea to have the whole of /home in a fat32 or NTFS partition because those two Windows filesystems don't support Linux permissions. Also, the /home folder has many hidden files and folders (these have a leading '.') for configuration and I don't know what effect this would have in Vista, or whether Visat would interfere with these..

But what I do is to have a separate NTFS partition for data and set up symlinks from my /home in Linux and whatever the equivalent is in Windows (links? shortcuts? ). So - say I have a 'Music' folder in my NTFS data partition, then I create a symlink called 'Music' in my Linux home and a link called - yes, you've guessed it - 'Music' in Windows My Documents. (I'm using XP.) In fact I also multiboot several Linux distros, so I do the same in each. Whichever distro/OS I'm in I can access the same files from my home folder by double-clicking on the symlinks (which look like folders with bendy arrows in Linux).

Easy peasy.

Beans

Windows has no problems with ext2/3 partitions after you install this:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post

I would strongly recommend against this. This driver is still in beta and has corrupted my Ext3 filesystem twice.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post

Windows may have no problems, but I'm afraid ext3 partitions can after Windows has been rampaging around inside them. I have to agree with the previous poster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    I would strongly recommend against this. This driver is still in beta and has corrupted my Ext3 filesystem twice.
    If you guys have negative experiences with it then of course I don't recommend it anymore.

But it is not beta anymore. I am curious if you used it lately?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Bad move, I think. It may work in theory, but I believe you will find that there is no-one who would recommend this file system for your /home partition. I suspect others with more know-how will tell you why, but, I'm afraid I don't know enough.
    Extremely bad move. It does NOT work. If you move /home to a NTFS partition you will not be able to log in.

@coffecat a NTFS partition for media and files you want to share between windows and Linux is a good idea. It works real well. Until I went completely windows free I used one with no issues.
    Last edited by Oldsoldier2003; July 25th, 2008 at 11:55 PM.

Beans

thanks for the responses everyone, I'll do the symlink approach for my data. i had a notion permissions might be a problem, but didn't know how severe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this thread is quite old but as I was reading I was thinking "What did I do?!", because I have a FAT 32 partition that I use as "Home", (but wait!, it's not home!), I had just put the My Documents folder and linked the specified folders Music/Documents/Videos in Ubuntu, so I just discovered that /Home is actually on the root partition.... whew!

For a moment there I thought having "My Documents" accessible from Ubuntu meant having your /Home folder in there as well, not so, thanks a lot. I made not bad move then.
    It's good to know, now, although I was indeed going to do a very bad move and I never cared to read this information first!
    Intel Pentium 4 @2Ghz, 1Gb ram.
    ATI Radeon.