Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Automatix and Ultamatix discussion thread

Beans

Re: Automatix and Ultamatix discussion thread

I used to defend Automatix and has been involved with its flame war saga, simply because i used to believe its great for new users and has been, but as Ubuntu developers pointed out its technical flaws, I came to understand why nobody should use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh no. Not one of those God-awful bash scripts again!

First it was Automatix and now it's come back to haunt support forums everywhere.

Can you believe there was even a Debian version?! Sacrilege!

If new Linux users are reading this thread and want some advice, do not use these 3rd party apps/scripts unless they are supported by the developers of the distro. Envyng for example.

Ubuntu has been designed to help you install everything you need already.

For those of you who still find a .deb file that you want to install:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i nameoffile.deb
    or a bin file:ie GoogleEarth, Nvidia drivers.
    Code:
    sudo sh namoffile.bin
    I know the new coder has said that he is no stranger to code, and will repair everything that Matt Garrett listed as wrong with Automatix, but my advice is leave it, as it is unnecessary.

huxterby
    Last edited by huxterby; August 7th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by compiledkernel View Post
    Too many of us, Vadi included Im sure, have seen the system breakages that were caused by this mess. As noble as it might be, and ease driven, the amount of breakages that can and do occur are not worth the trouble to a beginning user to take the risk. A risk that if it takes the wayside wrong, will certainly drive them away from Linux/Ubuntu, much faster than getting used to a different learning curve.
    I would tend to agree with this for many people. Though, my attitude is, "I've been warned", now live with your choice.

It's generally the mean comments I disagree with.

Beans

Ugh, Mr "no newbie to programming" is also doing it wrong:

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/99905.html

Steer clear of this.

Beans

Have you tried it yet? No? It works fine. Never had one problem with it. Automatix almost always screwed something up for me, but Ultamatix has played very nice. You may not like the code, but it does work without breaking anything. As for broken packages, I've noticed that when 2 packages exist in 2 different repos and 1 is newer than the other then there is sometime package breakage. Since Ultamatix uses newer packages than default Ubuntu repos there is sometimes a problem. But it's nothing that opening Synaptic and clicking on the broken filter then fixing the selected package won't fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Have you tried it yet? No? It works fine. Never had one problem with it. Automatix almost always screwed something up for me, but Ultamatix has played very nice. You may not like the code, but it does work without breaking anything. As for broken packages, I've noticed that when 2 packages exist in 2 different repos and 1 is newer than the other then there is sometime package breakage. Since Ultamatix uses newer packages than default Ubuntu repos there is sometimes a problem. But it's nothing that opening Synaptic and clicking on the broken filter then fixing the selected package won't fix.
    Please don't spread false information. It may not have broken anything for you yet, perhaps never will, but the code specifically states, by being written, that it will break things. Whether it will at any specific point depends on what programs you use.

It's not about "not liking the code", it's about code being specifically written as "If you have installed any program or plugins, or made any changes to my system, I may delete it all, even if it renders your system unusable. I will also make sure you can not upgrade to the next version of your system."

The part that IS abot not liking the code is that you should not let people that code this badly run programs on your computer, and especially not as root, and absolutely not a program that specifically changes your core system. That's just asking for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this "thing" should be considered malware IMO.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
    Please don't spread false information. It may not have broken anything for you yet, perhaps never will, but the code specifically states, by being written, that it will break things. Whether it will at any specific point depends on what programs you use.

It's not about "not liking the code", it's about code being specifically written as "If you have installed any program or plugins, or made any changes to my system, I may delete it all, even if it renders your system unusable. I will also make sure you can not upgrade to the next version of your system."

The part that IS abot not liking the code is that you should not let people that code this badly run programs on your computer, and especially not as root, and absolutely not a program that specifically changes your core system. That's just asking for it.
    There is no false info being spread. I have seen very few complaints where a system had a problem after running Ultamatix. Those problems dealt with broken packages. Those also seem to be where Ultamatix installs a newer package than the one that is in the Ubuntu repo. A lot a changes went in to Ultamatix to make it safer than Automatix. Here is a little change log.
    http://forumubuntusoftware.info/view...art=50&#p14250

Also: I would like to apologize to the mods and admins here for the last post I made. I allowed personal feelings to interfere with my judgment because of another post that was also deleted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would like all involved in this discussions to remember the COC, to be polite even it you disagree with others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't know why people persist in making these, looking at ultamatix, most of the software is in the repositories, or is easily available from the projects website.

New user should not be recommended to use these, they are at a risk of breaking their system. Maybe there should be a warning at the top of the forums about 3rd party scripts.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast