Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Automatix and Ultamatix discussion thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ultamatix: The New Automatix - Brings dozens of games for Ubuntu users!

Just a note - do not use ultamatix.

Because a) it's nothing special. All games are available from applications - add/remove, or getdeb.net, and b) it can break your computer, badly (link).

What the application claims to do is nothing special since all that done is already, and it is very, very sloppily coded.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ultamatix

http://www.geekosophical.net/?p=186

As with the old Automatix, the new Ultamatix will break dependencies that APT will not be able to resolve.

If you're looking for a quick way to get codecs, Google Earth and so on, this is not it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Automatix and Ultamatix discussion thread

"but sold out to pioneer linux so no such thing anymore."

Is downing one project really needed? Does it make you feel better?

How about this. Automatix, Ultamatix and Ubuntu Ultimate (fail) Edition are all complete crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Actually, MMA, its Just Ultimate Edition now, they were forced to drop Ubuntu from the name, after interactions with Canonical.

As for Ultamatix, its still got some of the sloppy and undesirable code that was seen in Autotmatix, ergo, dont waste your time.

Accept the learning curve with your new Ubuntu system new users (its getting smaller and smaller these days anyway), and learn to use the power at your finger tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi to all
    How do I uninstall ultramatix?
    I did the install and now I am unable to UPDATE using update manager.
    I just want it out before I do more damage.

thanks
    tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my opinion this is a great tool for linux newbies. Not everyone is comfortable with apt-get or dpkg.

Keep on the good work. Tools like that will help bringing more users to the right side of the force!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's great in theory. But in practice, it breaks people's systems and is in an alpha state.

Theory is not practice, unfortunately. This sounds like candy but it's really evil.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newbemac View Post
    Hi to all
    How do I uninstall ultramatix?
    I did the install and now I am unable to UPDATE using update manager.
    I just want it out before I do more damage.

thanks
    tom
    Umm, ask in their forum? Be a good place to start I'd imagine.

As for some of the other mean post calling it crap etc.. Maybe it'd be good to remember why linux exist.. And if it breaks your box, so what? Copy your data and re-install. That's what this is all about learn what to do and what you like etc.. And before you get all huffy and mean spirited. Maybe you should build something better. It's easy to sit and gripe about those that try. Those that don't follow rules etc.. Whether you agree with them or not, they have the honor of trying.. Do you?

Disclaimer, I used to use Automatix and never had a problem with it. I've never tried this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi.

This isn't about 'honor of trying', this is about being able to play your music, games, and watch your videos. Common tasks, not honourable deeds and reinstalling your OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Too many of us, Vadi included Im sure, have seen the system breakages that were caused by this mess. As noble as it might be, and ease driven, the amount of breakages that can and do occur are not worth the trouble to a beginning user to take the risk. A risk that if it takes the wayside wrong, will certainly drive them away from Linux/Ubuntu, much faster than getting used to a different learning curve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast