Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

This did not work for me.
    I went through ALL required steps, eventually building ndiswrapper, and still there is ZERO response to wireless networks.

I've been wading through tons of entries on getting wireless to work in Ubuntu, and I'm done. I'm done with ubuntu after 8 hours non-responsive wireless that was promised to work with a simple b43xx update.

You anted feedback, here's my setup:
    HP Pavilion zv6000
    03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
    03:02.0 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)
    Ubuntu 8.10 (64 bit)
    AMD 3500+ 64 bit chip
    I was forced to compile, and I used step 2g (as it's rev 03)
    I tried using the Hardy Bug Fix, but that didn't work, so i compiled, as I mentioned. I used the temporary fix, but since it still showed "=ssb" after the temporary fix, the instructions say not to make a permanent fix, so I went on to compile.

Further details listed in the thread I started desperate for help here.
    Last edited by scearley; March 24th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Quote Originally Posted by scearley View Post
    This did not work for me.
    I went through ALL required steps, eventually building ndiswrapper, and still there is ZERO response to wireless networks.
    I know it's stupid BUT, when I was having problems and everything said it should be working I found out the wireless was turned off in the BIOS.

Before writing it off, look for any "on/off" switch on the system; BIOS, Function Keys (which is how I suspect it got turned off in the first place), whatever.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I know it's stupid BUT, when I was having problems and everything said it should be working I found out the wireless was turned off in the BIOS.

Before writing it off, look for any "on/off" switch on the system; BIOS, Function Keys (which is how I suspect it got turned off in the first place), whatever.
    I did check BIOS and other hardware switches, they are on. Installing the b43 driver turned the wifi on, or at least the LED showing that it's on is on. Removing the b43 driver keeps the light off.

Beans

hi,
    I followed the the no-fluff tutorial and my bcm4306 rev2 card is connecting to the internet ! so, thanks!

but...wpa2 is not working,(I can see my network and I get one green light in the nm-applet and a spinning thing, and ....nothing) can someone help me get it working if it's possible.

thanks

epha

Beans

Cool Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

I'm having a similar problem.

Can any one provide me a quick solution in getting connected to my university wireless network which is a WPA2 enterprise encripted network.
    I have a Dell inspiron 1720 system which comes with the dreaded Broadcom wireless hardware and uses the 'bcm 4315 driver'. Initially I used to get kernel freezes each time I used to connect to the university network. It used to work on other networks though. I am using the Windows Wireless driver application to use the 'bcmwl5' driver. It does not freeze with this driver but I can't connect to the university network. I can see all the networks in the wireless manager.

Any help would be highly appreciated .

Thanks,
    Riberet

Beans

@riberet

hi. I have my wireless card working with wpa1. The driver doesn't support wpa2 I think. I followed this tutorial to get wpa1 working:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

good luck.

epha.

Beans

After weeks of trying to get my wireless chip working I happened on the "WifiDocDriverbcm43xxFeisty_No-Fluff" page and finally got it working 100%.(and easily too) To start up I just: /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up #iwconfig lists wlan0 iwconfig wlan0 essid "WHAT_IM_TRYING_TO_CONNECT_TO" #associates immediately /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd -d wlan0 #no problems at all with dhcpcd In fact works like a dream. Below is the requested information. Machine Brand and Model: emachines D620 (super deluxe ultra-cheap) Wireless Brand and Model: lspci | grep Broadcom: Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) Wireless Chipset: lspci -n | grep '14e4:43' 05:00.0 0280: 14e4:4315 (rev 01) Ubuntu Version: lsb_release -d Don't use any distribution. Roll my own. Kernel/architecture (including 32 vs. 64 bit) : uname -mr 2.6.29.2 i686 32bit AMD Processor Any extra boot options you might be using (e.g., noacpi, irqpoll, etc.) Nothing except root=/dev/sda1 Whether or not you had to compile NDISWrapper Yes I compiled it. No problems. Which version of Step 2 you used Step 2e: R174291 Driver Download/Extraction Well I don't know why thing (editpost.php?) totally mangles the text that I enter. I tried. Any way thanks a lot for the site. Bruce
    Last edited by bruce m beach; May 7th, 2009 at 03:13 AM.

Beans

Failed.
    HP dv8000 laptop
    lspci | grep Broadcom 06:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/b/g PCI Express Transceiver (rev 02)
    lspci -n | grep '14e4:43'
    06:02.0 0280: 14e4:4319 (rev 02)
    lsb_release -d Description: Ubuntu 8.10
    uname -mr 2.6.27-11-generic x86_64
    Did not try (knowledge/confidence) to compile.
    Step 2b tried.
    Hardy fix tried.
    Aboard SV Drakus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

I've just bought an Asus wl-138g v2 and am trying to get it installed - I've seen documentation on the web stating it should work "out of the box" but so far no luck.

I am running Jaunty and initially used system>administration>hardwaredrivers which gave me the option to install b43. Before completing, this error came up. "Sorry, the Jockey backend crashed"

Since then I've tried working through a number of different how to's. The last one being https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...f#Instructions

It wasn't working after going through the main steps so I tried the "Hardy Bug Fix", here is output

then I tried lshw -C network...

I'm guessing that module=ssb should be reading module=ndiswrapper. I would really appreciate some help with this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Howdy,
    Upon cleaning up after the celebration of getting wlan0 working with the Linksys WMP11, the fates decided to freeze the system. After the subsequent cold boot, wlan0 doesn't show up. lshw -C network is showing ssb as the module. I guess I'm just trying to shoot for a results approach with ndiswrapper. Right now, on bootup, b44 picks up the card and that fails with a -22 error, according to syslog. So, I've removed both b44 and ssb and now lshw -C network shows that interface as "UNCLAIMED". What command binds a driver (like ndiswrapper) to this hardware? I'd even go for a Fred Flintstone direct approach rather than pci discovery methods.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast