Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Beans

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Testimonial:

Laptop: Compaq F572US
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)
    0280: 14e4:4311 (rev 02)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1
    2.6.24-16-generic i686

I'm not using any kernel flags at bootup (irqpoll, etc.)

Used 0.3 version of the Hardy bugfix. Everything went flawlessly. Thanks!

m00t
    Last edited by mootpoint; July 27th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Quote Originally Posted by mootpoint View Post
    Hasmarth,

Just execute the commands in 0.3, and if it says "Not found," ignore it and keep going. You'll be fine.

m00t
    Sorry i don't understand excuting in 0.3, ubuntu is a totally new concept to me. Care to shed a bit of light?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hasmarth View Post
    Sorry i don't understand excuting in 0.3, ubuntu is a totally new concept to me. Care to shed a bit of light?
    Modifying /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

Version 0.3

Code:
    echo -e '#Hardy ssb/ndiswrapper workaround, added' `date` '\ninstall ndiswrapper modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe ssb; modprobe b44;' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    The Version 0.3 command is like a script that runs whenever ndiswrapper is being loaded. What it will do is automatically remove the b43, b44, b43legacy, and ssb modules (the native Broadcom Linux modules for wireless (b43* modules) and wired ethernet cards (b44) then load the ndiswrapper modules, and then reload the b44 module so that the wired card will work (if you have a Broadcom wired ethernet card).

This is similar to the Trying It Temporarily section, but is the automated version.

As for the b43/b43legacy concern, you don't need to worry about it beause the Version 0.3 command will take care of it if they do exist.

Beans

Oh i see what you meant by 0.3. I'll try it a little later and get backt o you guys. If the bug fix works, should i go back to step 3 and try that?

Beans
    Distro

Oh i see what you meant by 0.3. I'll try it a little later and get backt o you guys. If the bug fix works, should i go back to step 3 and try that?
    If you have already done these steps:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.orig
    echo -e 'auto lo\niface lo inet loopback\n' | sudo tee /etc/network/interfaces
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo 'ENABLED=0' | sudo tee -a /etc/default/wpasupplicant
    you will not need to do step 3 again. The steps in this post loads the Windows driver to ndiswrapper and creates the alias information in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper (lets ndiswrapper know to use wlan0). It also resets all the configurations done to /etc/network/interfaces. If this part is not done, ndiswrapper will not work.

Beans

ok i tried 0.3 but module is still ssb in lshw -C network. I don't think i did those commands Ayuthia. I'm a little cnfused about what to do next. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

ok i tried 0.3 but module is still ssb in lshw -C network. I don't think i did those commands Ayuthia. I'm a little cnfused about what to do next. Any ideas?
    Let's go back and check if the driver is installed:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    If it shows that the device/hardware is present and that bcmwl5 is the driver, then you have done those commands. If it is not there, then you should do those steps. There is a good chance that the ndiswrapper -m step will return an error, but that is ok. That command verifies that only alias commands are in there. It does not expect us to add the 0.3 steps in there.

Beans

k it says bcml5 : invalid driver
    im gonna go ahead and try those commands
    okkk... looks like along with ndiswrapper -m, the first two commands came back with errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,followed all steps,but when i check network connection after setting wep key etc i get this message wlan0:avahi.This has plagued me since Gusty can anyone tell me how to get this avahi thing to go!!!!!!!
    Bilbo

Beans
    Distro

k it says bcml5 : invalid driver
    im gonna go ahead and try those commands
    okkk... looks like along with ndiswrapper -m, the first two commands came back with errors
    The invalid driver message means that it does not like the driver. You will want to remove the driver:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -e bcmwl5
    and try again. Just make sure that you are in the same directory as the bcmwl5.inf file and the bcmwl5.sys (32-bit) or bcmwl564.sys (64-bit) file. To load the file again:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -i bcmwl5.inf
    ndiswrapper -l

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast