Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Beans

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Jackson View Post
    Okay, I'll wait and see what ShaxxiE's device's physical label says, so I can check that vendor's support site/driver against what I've got.

The 32/64-bit thing might be a red herring, but we'll see.
    Hello

Ive just opened up my computer and checked the label. The only thing thing i can see with any relevance was:

Linksys Wireless Adapter

WMP54G
    FCCID: PKW_WMP54G
    IC: 3839A-WMP54G

I do not have the original box. Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo: Broadcom BCM43xx in 5 minutes with ndiswrapper/WPA for fresh installs

Quote Originally Posted by ShaxxiE View Post
    Hello

Ive just opened up my computer and checked the label. The only thing thing i can see with any relevance was:

Linksys Wireless Adapter

WMP54G
    FCCID: PKW_WMP54G
    IC: 3839A-WMP54G

I do not have the original box. Hope this helps
    Maybe it's a version 1? Sorry to make you jump through hoops, but please double check that you didn't overlook the version number. (Instructions here.)

Update: Oh, and do download and try the drivers from the Linksys support site (for WinXP, not Vista), for whatever version you find that you have.

Update 2: You must have version 1. I looked up the FCCID, and looked at the label they have on file, and it has no explicit version printed (as you indicated).
    Last edited by Jamie Jackson; August 19th, 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Maybe it's a version 1? Sorry to make you jump through hoops, but please double check that you didn't overlook the version number. (Instructions here.)

Update: Oh, and do download and try the drivers from the Linksys support site (for WinXP, not Vista), for whatever version you find that you have.
    Here is ShaxxiE's lspci -nnm info link from the other post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=20
    To summarize:
    Code:
    00:0a.0 "Network controller [0280]" "Broadcom Corporation [14e4]" "BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [4320]" -r02 "Linksys [1737]" "Unknown device [0013]"
    It doesn't seem that the rev numbers match up. From one of the .inf files that I looked at, it looks like it could be a version 01.

@ShaxxiE - you might try out WPC300N+others-x64 from that link in your other thread. To prevent more jumping around, let's try to keep the conversation on this thread. I think that others can benefit more from this one because this thread is becoming very popular.

Beans

Hello

Okay ill stick to this thread from now on.

I do think i have Version 1 as it definitely doesn't have a version written on my Wlan adapter, and i got this W Adapter when Wireless first because popular... a good few years ago.....

I have just installed this 64bit driver from >ubunturules< thread but again i am getting 1 light on the WLAN in System Area at top left of screen when its trying to log into my network.... but still no connection.

The WPC300N_others-x64 drivers do not work at all, they completely remove the wireless altogether.

Ive spent over 12 solid hours on this. I think ive earnt myself a new WLAN card. Which is the best one compatible with Ubuntu Hardy?

Beans
    Distro

Hello

I do think i have Version 1 as it definitely doesn't have a version written on my Wlan adapter, and i got this W Adapter when Wireless first because popular... a good few years ago.....

I have just installed this 64bit driver from >ubunturules< thread but again i am getting 1 light on the WLAN in System Area at top left of screen when its trying to log into my network.... but still no connection.

The WPC300N_others-x64 drivers do not work at all, they completely remove the wireless altogether.

Ive spent over 12 solid hours on this. I think ive earnt myself a new WLAN card. Which is the best one compatible with Ubuntu Hardy?
    Well, I appreciate the effort that you put into this. I wish that I could tell you what card is the most compatible. I ended up getting a Linksys PCI card, but it had the RaLink hardware inside. It did work out of the box with Ubuntu using the rt61pci module and it works well with the rt61 from serialmonkey on Arch. Unfortunately, the Linksys cards are hit and miss because of the various chips that they use.

Beans

For kicks, please post the output of "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

It should only have:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    OK. Ayuthia's idea to switch to "roaming mode" did the trick. I have my list of networks back (still can't connect to my own, but at least the interface works). And, I have exactly what you predict in /etc/network/interfaces", Jamie.

I really appreciate the step-by-step help from both of you. Any thoughts on where I should take this problem next with trying to connect to my own home router?

Thanks, Ameet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ameet View Post
    OK. Ayuthia's idea to switch to "roaming mode" did the trick. I have my list of networks back (still can't connect to my own, but at least the interface works). And, I have exactly what you predict in /etc/network/interfaces", Jamie.

I really appreciate the step-by-step help from both of you. Any thoughts on where I should take this problem next with trying to connect to my own home router?

Thanks, Ameet.
    I am assuming that you are back at home. If so, can you post the results of:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan
    Let's see if we can see your home router.

EDIT: I just figured out that the your last scan was not from your place and that is why I did not see your home router. The previous scan did show that there are two sites (yours and another site) and they are using the same channel. Both signals are somewhat strong. You might try changing the channel of your router (something else less than 12) and then try to connect.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; August 20th, 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I am assuming that you are back at home. If so, can you post the results of:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan
    Let's see if we can see your home router.

EDIT: I just figured out that the your last scan was not from your place and that is why I did not see your home router. The previous scan did show that there are two sites (yours and another site) and they are using the same channel. Both signals are somewhat strong. You might try changing the channel of your router (something else less than 12) and then try to connect.
    I changed the channel to 8 (the other routers on my street are on channel 6). I wasn't able to make a connection. I then also changed the beacon interval from 200 ms to 100 ms (I don't know what this is about, but it seems to be 100 on a number of other routers I have sniffed.) Well, that didn't help either. Here's the scan:
    Code:
    ~$ sudo iwlist scan
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:E0:98:FF:8F:C1
                        ESSID:"RAV404"
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
                        Mode:Managed
                        Frequency:2.447 GHz (Channel 8)
                        Quality:100/100  Signal level:-24 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
                        Encryption key:off
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
                                  6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                                  36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Extra:bcn_int=100
                        Extra:atim=0
              Cell 02 - Address: 00:12:0E:8A:5E:50
                        ESSID:"07FX09054567"
                        Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                        Quality:53/100  Signal level:-62 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
                        Encryption key:on
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                                  9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                                  48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Extra:bcn_int=100
              Cell 03 - Address: 00:12:0E:75:0A:95
                        ESSID:"07B404591928"
                        Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                        Quality:7/100  Signal level:-91 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
                        Encryption key:on
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
                                  6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                                  36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Extra:bcn_int=200

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

Beans

After trying and reading (a lot of both) I got my Broadcom 4328 working, stable, and relatively fast, with WPA2 and static address.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779754&page=21
    Post #206

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello

I hear you, I personally hate the Broadcom devices, and their unwillingness to be Linux-friendly. Here's a USB option that had a great bang for the buck for me (got it plugged into the "kitchen laptop"), though you'll likely find more reliable information on wireless devices on some Linux compatibility chart.

I'm sure we can get your existing device working, though I don't know how much more time you're willing to put into it.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast