I think that I have a repeatable setup... I'll need to test it a bit further, but this does work (at least a couple of times).
Precondition: b44 and ssb have the wireless card
Code:
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
sudo modprobe b43legacy
At this point, the card's light comes on. iwconfig shows wmaster and wlan0.
Code:
sudo rmmod b43legacy
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
And I enter my wireless config info and I'm up. Of course, it's on a windows driver that crashes the system, but at least I can try different ones until I find one that's stable.
Thanks for the help... I'm going to keep plodding along this line! I'll let you know if I find a method more efficient than this.