Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Creative X-Fi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How-To: Creative X-Fi

hey something mysteriously happened few minutes ago, I restarted and then the x-fi lost the configuration so no sound and Alsa error.

I reinstalled using the first post info and everything is working good again.

Listening Pink Floyd again hehe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Psychopsia View Post
    hey something mysteriously happened few minutes ago, I restarted and then the x-fi lost the configuration so no sound and Alsa error.

I reinstalled using the first post info and everything is working good again.

Listening Pink Floyd again hehe
    It could have been to a kernel update. Did you install any updates before you restarted?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NullHead View Post
    It could have been to a kernel update. Did you install any updates before you restarted?
    i had same problem. installed kernel update, and no sound. but just followed steps on first post again, rebooted, and was working fine again.
    My rig: Intel Q6700 C2Q 2.66gHz, 6gig DDR2, 500gig hdd x2 in raid 0, Nvidia GTX 465, X-Fi Platinum, M-audio 1010lt.

spare rig: P4 1.8gHz, 1Gig DDR ram, 40gig + 120gig hdd, Nvidia 6200

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by borlosky View Post
    i had same problem. installed kernel update, and no sound. but just followed steps on first post again, rebooted, and was working fine again.
    I also lost sound after the last kernel update. And like you, regained sound by reinstalling the driver.

Beans

That would be because of a directory change in the kernel headers. When the driver is linking to an old version, then you boot into a new version, you're essentially not loading the drivers at all.

Re-installing will fix your problem. I'm glad all of you have figured that out already

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NullHead View Post
    That's right, when xfi installed first time the kernel was Kernel 2.6.27-7 and yesterday upgraded to 2.6.27-9

So, on every kernel upgrade the xfi will be "uninstalled", right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Psychopsia View Post
    That's right, when xfi installed first time the kernel was Kernel 2.6.27-7 and yesterday upgraded to 2.6.27-9

So, on every kernel upgrade the xfi will be "uninstalled", right?
    That's essentially what's happening, yes. You just need to watch for those kernel updates in the update manager instead of updating the system with out knowing what's being updated.

Beans

confirm.
    this driver won't work on 8.04
    after dist-update 8.04 to 8.10, works like a charm.

thx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just prevent Ubuntu from updating your kernel until this driver mess is fixed. In Synaptic look for linux-generic, linux-image-generic and linux-headers generic. Mark each of the packages and in the menu click Package and Lock Version. Now you should be able to install all updates again without checking first if they include a new kernel or not.
    NIETS IS ONMOGELIJK!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Red face Re: How-To: Creative X-Fi

Oh heavens, I wish I had checked this thread when I "noticed" some time last week that my sound wasn't working. I often work with my speakers shut off, and only turn them on when I specifically want to listen to something. Well last week my sound stopped working and I was getting ready to assume my hardware failed. After reading this, I am going to check to see if I simply need to reinstall the xfi drivers.

Thanks all who figured out this problem before I asked.

I don't suppose anyone is working on developing an ubuntu supported deb file are they? I'd volunteer....
    Last edited by scot.mcpherson; December 5th, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added last question

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast