Thread: VirtualBox Advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VirtualBox Advice

I wish to completely install Ubuntu and overwrite vista (I have a backup Vista recovery disk if I really need vista again)

Advice I need:
    Virtual Box. I want to know if it's decent and how I would use it to install some sort of microsoft system so I can run shockwave when needed.

Also Do you recommended overwriting vista for Linux?
    Kai Jordan Day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: VirtualBox Advice

Moved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by KaiJordanDay View Post
    I wish to completely install Ubuntu and overwrite vista (I have a backup Vista recovery disk if I really need vista again)

Advice I need:
    Virtual Box. I want to know if it's decent and how I would use it to install some sort of microsoft system so I can run shockwave when needed.

Also Do you recommended overwriting vista for Linux?

I don't know if your Vista recovery CD will work within Virtualbox. Some CD's look at the hardware and if it doesn't find what it is expecting, the restore will not happen.

If your restore CD works, and you don't really have needs for playing games or absolutely must have programs that only work under Windows and you don't want to keep jumping into VirtualBox to get to them, then sure. I've been running the setup you are describing now for a while (XP instead of Vista) and I haven't seen a need to reload Windows as my primary OS yet.
    Registered Ubuntu User #6724

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I suggest that you do a dual-boot. Chances are you have enough HDD space to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VirtualBox works ok, I used several times. As far as I know it does not support hardware acceleration for emulated graphic cards.

You can also try to use Vmware server witch also is a free product and works nice with hardware acceletation for graphics too.

Another alternative is to install wine and attempt to run windows application directly from Ubuntu using wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
    I don't know if your Vista recovery CD will work within Virtualbox. Some CD's look at the hardware and if it doesn't find what it is expecting, the restore will not happen.

If your restore CD works, and you don't really have needs for playing games or absolutely must have programs that only work under Windows and you don't want to keep jumping into VirtualBox to get to them, then sure. I've been running the setup you are describing now for a while (XP instead of Vista) and I haven't seen a need to reload Windows as my primary OS yet.

+1

As a general rule recovery cd's do not work in Virtualbox. You need an installation cd. You can usually get a installation cd from the computer manufacturer if you request it.