Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu MID is Cool but did not find ISO to BURN -> INSTALL and USE IT on OLDLAPTOP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu MID is Cool but did not find ISO to BURN -> INSTALL and USE IT on OLDLA

As of now, the only Ubuntu MID images are built for mccaslin and menlow platforms which are both UMPC platforms built on Intel Atom and its ancestors.

If your willing to deal with the unpolished nitty-gritty and have your heart set on a Ubuntu distro you can try Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Its still rough around the edges and may not run easily on your machine.

You machine may not be capable of running anything that recent though.
    Last edited by gerbalblaste; July 25th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu MID is Cool but did not find ISO to BURN -> INSTALL and USE IT on OLDLA

Hi there, I have a Dell Latitude CPx laptop which is quite similar to your CPt. Do yourself a favor and upgrade that RAM! 128mb is quite low for any flavor of Ubuntu; installation *might* be technically possible, but it will be extremely slow (and forget about watching videos, etc.). MID and netbook remix are optimized for current-generation devices with Atom processors and recommended 512+mb of ram.

There are a number of threads here on the forums about "which flavor is right for my ancient laptop" so I won't repeat myself, except to say I am currently running Fluxbuntu and Crunchbang on my Latitude, and that's with 384mb of ram.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Hi there, I have a Dell Latitude CPx laptop which is quite similar to your CPt. Do yourself a favor and upgrade that RAM! 128mb is quite low for any flavor of Ubuntu; installation *might* be technically possible, but it will be extremely slow (and forget about watching videos, etc.). MID and netbook remix are optimized for current-generation devices with Atom processors and recommended 512+mb of ram.

There are a number of threads here on the forums about "which flavor is right for my ancient laptop" so I won't repeat myself, except to say I am currently running Fluxbuntu and Crunchbang on my Latitude, and that's with 384mb of ram.
    Thank you guys... i guess, i essentially need web 2.0 browser and Linux Shell with SSH..and I might install DSL for now cuz..when i get more RAM I might try again fluxbuntu.

Have a fantastic weekend..though..

Beans

If you can get it to run with 128mb (I think it will work), Crunchbang might be a good choice for you, because it supports a lot of media types (Flash video, realplayer, etc) without loading any additional plugins. Fluxbuntu will defintely work with 128mb; you can read more about my experiences with it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=855596

DSL is pretty cool, and it runs well from a live CD, so you can try it without having to install anything on your hard drive.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12