Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Security concern - Found my PC at logon screen third day in row!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation [SOLVED] Security concern - Found my PC at logon screen third day in row!

Hello guys,
    I have a desktop machine which i use at work with Ubuntu 8.04. I never turn it off when I go home but today is the third day I come to work and find the machine rebooted and at the logon screen. Nobody else has access to my office. I had 3D Cube screensafer enabled before and that caused it crash occasionally but it wouldn't reboot for that. That was awhile back. Now I just have a regular screen saver, no 3D stuff and before I leave everyday i Lock the screen.

How can I find out what happened? I know it should be in the logs somewhere, but which ones?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Security concern - Found my PC at logon screen third day in row!

No ideas? I though most people here know more than me about security and at least know which log and where to look!

43 views and nobody, that's hard to believe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, there could be a couple of reasons why this is happening.

1) Could be faulty hardware in the computer causing it to spontaneoulsy reboot.

2) Maybe there are power problems in your office with the power going off or maybe the building is doing maintenance and shutting of the power to the building temporarily. Have you asked them if they turned off the power recently?

3) Take a look in /var/log/messages

Let us know what you find out

Beans

I've had issues with X randomly restarting before. If u restart X ( Ctrl+Alt+Backspace ) u are taken to ur login screen. That is also a possibility for what could have happened. Check in /var/log/Xorg.log.0

Think that path is right.....

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi,

To eliminate possible reboots as the cause check uptime, to see how long the systems been up.

Also the Logs are you friend!!

Regards,

k_grdn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks to all
    /var/log folder has all the information that i needed. I didnt find anything out of the ordinary in /var/log/messages so it could have been a power outtage. 3 days in a row is a little weird but it's a possibility, since one of those days we had a storm. Let's see what happens on Monday.

BTW I set up a intrusion detection system using this how to :http://www.howtoforge.com/intrusion-...on-ubuntu-7.10

It seems pretty good. I had some incomming UDP packets giving me ICMP alerts or something like that. Then I added that originating IP to the blocked in iptables so all packets comming from it are being dropped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's a possibility that the Compiz screensaver crashed X, delivering you back to the login screen.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

maybe there was some power cut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well i come in on Monday and find the same thing. The computer is at login screen. I don't think they have a power outtages everyday. That's not possible. My 3D screensaver is disabled also. I just set he screen to go blank so no screensaver -period. This is so weird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Perhaps a janitor or security guard? Or mice chewing on the wires?
    Old As Dust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast