Thread: SD card reader surprise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

SD card reader surprise

Hi All, Not a problem here at least not with Ubuntu just a pleasant surprise.
    I have an Acer Aspire as5672WLMi notebook with a built in Texas Instruments SD card reader.
    The card reader has worked perfectly with Ubuntu for several versions now.
    I just recently bought a 4 GB SDHC card (for those that don't know SDHC is a new standard in flash drives for cards greater than 2 GB.) SDHC cards are supposed to be backwards compatible with older readers like the one in my Acer. They often aren't though and SDHC cards on my machine aren't recognized by M$ XP Pro. Surprise, surprise Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit recognizes SDHC cards just like regular SD cards.
    Chalk one up for Ubuntu.
    Frank Golden - Acer Aspire 5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo (T7200/2.0 GHz), 500 GB SATA HDD, 4 GB DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 [XP-SP3 Pro + Win 7 Home + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 + Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit + PCLinuxOS 2010 GNOME and KDE]

Beans
    Distro

Re: SD card reader surprise

That's good to hear. I've no experience with SDHC, but are you sure that it can use the full capacity of the card, as well as just recognising that the card exists?

The only glitch I've heard of with Ubuntu and internal card readers is that they don't recognise Sony Memory Stick, although external USB readers do!
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Distro

Re: SD card reader surprise

Quote Originally Posted by silkstone View Post
    That's good to hear. I've no experience with SDHC, but are you sure that it can use the full capacity of the card, as well as just recognising that the card exists?

The only glitch I've heard of with Ubuntu and internal card readers is that they don't recognise Sony Memory Stick, although external USB readers do!
    Good question, just loaded up a 4 GB SDHC card with ~ 4 GB of mp3's. Actually this is a micro SDHC card with a SD to microSD card adaptor. No bigger than a fingernail. Amazing huh. I understand micro SDHC cards are available up to 12 GB with 16 GB coming soon!!!
    Regular sized SDHC cards are available to 32 GB.
    Last edited by Frank Golden; July 25th, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Frank Golden - Acer Aspire 5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo (T7200/2.0 GHz), 500 GB SATA HDD, 4 GB DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 [XP-SP3 Pro + Win 7 Home + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 + Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit + PCLinuxOS 2010 GNOME and KDE]