Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky SSL Email Python Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Conky SSL Email Python Script

I'm having trouble with part of this program, possibly related to special characters in my password.

My university email is all alpha-numeric, and works just fine. My Gmail password, however, contains letters, numbers, and certain ASCII characters that can be found on any keyboard but also have special meanings at the Linux command line. I'm not sure which characters are causing the trouble, and I've tried surrounding the password with quotes and escaping the characters with slashes '\' but neither has worked.

What is the solution to this problem, other than changing my password?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by martynp View Post
    Hey All,

Seeing as I use conkyForecast and conkyRhythmbox I thought I would switch from just using conkys inbuilt mail counter to conkyEmail.

I have downloaded the .deb (Mark, are you providing an Intrepid PPA yet?)

after installation and setup.........

${execi 60 conkyEmail -e -m IMAP -s imap.aol.com -u xxxx -p xxxx -i 10}

......... it's working fine and drawing down my emails....

However, after the 60 second check it is wiping out the mails shown in my conky (as in marking them read) and therefore wiping them from the conky display. From reading Mark's updates he says it has switched to use UNSEEN.

Any suggestions please. I would like the unread mail to stay in Conky at least until I have read it!

Many Thanks,

Martyn
    I've done a bit of digging, and I may have come up with something that will resolve the issue for you. Unfortunately this problem of emails being marked as read doesn't happen with gmail which I use, so I cannot test it. All I can say is that what was working still works for me.

I have altered the configuration of the imap message fetch in the script used to display the subject line...

To try out the modification, extract the py file from the attached and try it like this in you conkyrc file:

Code:
    ${execi 60 python /path/to/extracted/pyfile/conkyEmail.py -e -m IMAP -s imap.aol.com -u xxxx -p xxxx -i 10}
    Let me know how you get on, if this fixes things I'll rollout the change in the usual way

Chimo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by megadeus View Post
    I'm having trouble with part of this program, possibly related to special characters in my password.

My university email is all alpha-numeric, and works just fine. My Gmail password, however, contains letters, numbers, and certain ASCII characters that can be found on any keyboard but also have special meanings at the Linux command line. I'm not sure which characters are causing the trouble, and I've tried surrounding the password with quotes and escaping the characters with slashes '\' but neither has worked.

What is the solution to this problem, other than changing my password?
    If one of those characters is a $ sign that will probably upset conky quite a bit

I can think of a couple of ways to get over this problem, 1) by having the password stored in a separate config file and have it loaded inside the script...2) encrypting the password into a string which has a finite set of characters in use which are acceptable ones...but either way would affect everyone and in most cases be unnecessary. In making this change I would be affecting everybody for a single users problem as far as I am aware...

Can you not just update your password to use characters which do not affect the script, there are only a few that will cause issue. If you go lower and upper case with letters, use numbers and also atleast half of the symbols, you still have an extremely strong password.

Beans

That seems to have nailed it Mark!

Thanks for the quick response!

Any chance of adding and Intrepid PPA so I can put you back in my sources and enable me to keep up to date with releases?

Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by martynp View Post
    That seems to have nailed it Mark!

Thanks for the quick response!

Any chance of adding and Intrepid PPA so I can put you back in my sources and enable me to keep up to date with releases?

Thanks again
    Once I switch to Intrepid I'll upgrade all the packages on launchpad, I plan on switching in the week following the final release...I am in no rush, everything is working just fine Mind you, I do want to give the new gnome version a try, and pidgin 2.5 looks good too

The scripts might work okay using the existing hardy based PPA debs in an intrepid sources.list...not sure 'cause I haven't tried.

I'll update the current hardy PPA for conkyEmail at some point tomorrow

Cheers

Beans

Goddammit! Why didn't I think of that! Just tried the hardy in intrepid and it worked fine!!!!!! I should now get the update to conkyEmail when you release it. I'll just need to change the exec call back.

Thanks again!

Martyn

Beans
    Hidden!

UPDATE

I've changed the imap fetch to use '(BODY.PEEK[HEADER])' option rather than '(RFC822)' in an attempt to stop marking items as read with some mail providers.

The first post has been updated, and the apt package is available too

Chimo
    Last edited by kaivalagi; October 26th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.

Beans

I have decided to update my conky layout and wanted to add in gmail support but when i try and run the command from the command line i get:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/conkyEmail: line 3: /usr/lib/portage/pym: is a directory
    I am running Gentoo and that might have something to do with it but when i looked at conkyEmail there are only three lines and basically all i see it doing it setting the PYTHONPATH. I downloaded the tar and manually installed it last night.

Here is the /usr/bin/conkyEmail:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd /usr/share/conkyemail/
    $PYTHONPATH /usr/bin/python /usr/share/conkyemail/conkyEmail.py "$@"
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Okay, I figured it out. It was my mistake after all and not related to the password. I had mis-typed the mail server in the Template file.

Anyhow, the script now works beautifully. I'm loving it!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jtp755 View Post
    I have decided to update my conky layout and wanted to add in gmail support but when i try and run the command from the command line i get:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/conkyEmail: line 3: /usr/lib/portage/pym: is a directory
    I am running Gentoo and that might have something to do with it but when i looked at conkyEmail there are only three lines and basically all i see it doing it setting the PYTHONPATH. I downloaded the tar and manually installed it last night.

Here is the /usr/bin/conkyEmail:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd /usr/share/conkyemail/
    $PYTHONPATH /usr/bin/python /usr/share/conkyemail/conkyEmail.py "$@"
    Any ideas?
    The last line does start the python script with the passed in arguments, otherwise it wouldn't work for everyone.

Are you sure you have the .py file it points to in place too?

Alternatively you can use the .py script directly in conky with something like this:

Code:
    ${execi 1800 python /usr/share/conkyemail/conkyEmail.py ...options...}
    hope that helps
    Last edited by kaivalagi; October 31st, 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast