Re: [SOLVED] Window Manager doesn't load on startup

Not working.
    It bugs all my compyz settings...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [SOLVED] Window Manager doesn't load on startup -> additional info

Hi all!
    Thanks to everyones posts I was able to figure out what was causing the problem and thus removed it. Now I just need to figure out why it caused this issue.
    My prob started after I created a startup Session for Compiz Fusion Icon and after a reboot the problem became apparent. I too had the same prob with Compiz settings being disabled and additionally, like some of the others, my Screenlets were all over the place and the individual screenlets themselves didnt look quite right.
    Now, one thing I eventually noticed (after a few restarts) was that Compiz (e.g. Cube effect) did actually function as soon as I logged on, but after a few seconds the problem occurred. So I'm thinking the problem occurs as soon as the system starts up the Compiz Fusion Icon.
    To solve (well actually just a work around) the problem I deleted the session for the Fusion Icon. Tested by rebooting and all is now as it should be.

I'll post back once/if I've sussed why Fusion Icon is causing the issue.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [SOLVED] Window Manager won't load due to Compiz Fusion Icon

Okay I found the solution rather quickly and a simple one it is.

The Command I had originally used for my Comp Fusion Icon Session was: fusion-icon
    I got this command off another post as being a noob I didnt know what to put here. But if you look at the properties of Compiz Fusion Icon (under /usr/share/applications) the command is actually:
    Code:
    fusion-icon --no-start
    So I created a new session with this command and tested by logging/off on. All good!
    Performed a system restart also. All good!!
    Screenlets have been stable also!!!
    The Compiz Fusion Icon is present in the Panel and functioning too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [SOLVED] Window Manager won't load due to Compiz Fusion Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntopia View Post
    Okay I found the solution rather quickly and a simple one it is.

The Command I had originally used for my Comp Fusion Icon Session was: fusion-icon
    I got this command off another post as being a noob I didnt know what to put here. But if you look at the properties of Compiz Fusion Icon (under /usr/share/applications) the command is actually:
    Code:
    fusion-icon --no-start
    So I created a new session with this command and tested by logging/off on. All good!
    Performed a system restart also. All good!!
    Screenlets have been stable also!!!
    The Compiz Fusion Icon is present in the Panel and functioning too.
    Great Job!

And to the OP: The reason why I marked my thread as [SOLVED] is because the same thing happened to me as what happened to you; it fixed itself. However, this was on Hardy and now I moved to Intrepid and I got this problem again and thanks to ubuntopia, it works perfectly.
    System Specs:
    Asus M2N4-SLI Motherboard, Nvidia GeFORCE 8500GT, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+, 4GB RAM, 200GB Harddrive (100GB Windows 7, 100GB Ubuntu 12.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you very much, it works for me, and I can now make conky "sleep" only 1 second in startup.sh file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had this problem too, and was baffled by it. Making a new startup launcher solves it, but I still was trying to figure out why it got messed up in the first place, rather than just throwing in a launcher.

I still don't know why it got messed up, but I found one clue. The "Appearance" settings from System>Preferences somehow got set back to "Non" from having full effects. This meant that Compiz was being loaded, but also disabled, leaving no Window manager. I re-enabled Desktop effects in that GUI menu, and now it loads perfectly again, no startup script necessary.

Beans

My problems with lost window decorations occurred under both compiz and metacity and would seem to happen randomly, but once lost, nothing would bring the window decorations back except using "metacity --replace" as one of the startup scripts.

I finally had enough and decided to track this thing down and I found that sitting in my home directory under ./local/share/applications there were two files that were the root cause. One was named compiz.desktop and the other was named metacity.desktop. Deleting, renaming or moving those two files restores normal window decorations under both compiz and metacity.

I don't know what generates those files and puts them there but I know what to do to get window decorations back if they go missing - I look for those two files in ./local/share/applications and I delete them and I'm good until the next time they appear, which could be in days, weeks or months.

Your mileage may vary, but it won't hurt to try this if nothing else works for you in restoring your window decorations under either compiz or metacity.

PS My system is Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 but I had this problem under 9.04 AMD64 as well and the fix worked for both of them.

Beans

Thanks alot for a hint. It worked like a charm. And even now, everything loads faster.
    Thanks again, however it's wierd that things like this happened.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by myoldhouse View Post
    My problems with lost window decorations occurred under both compiz and metacity and would seem to happen randomly, but once lost, nothing would bring the window decorations back except using "metacity --replace" as one of the startup scripts.

I finally had enough and decided to track this thing down and I found that sitting in my home directory under ./local/share/applications there were two files that were the root cause. One was named compiz.desktop and the other was named metacity.desktop. Deleting, renaming or moving those two files restores normal window decorations under both compiz and metacity.

I don't know what generates those files and puts them there but I know what to do to get window decorations back if they go missing - I look for those two files in ./local/share/applications and I delete them and I'm good until the next time they appear, which could be in days, weeks or months.

Your mileage may vary, but it won't hurt to try this if nothing else works for you in restoring your window decorations under either compiz or metacity.

PS My system is Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 but I had this problem under 9.04 AMD64 as well and the fix worked for both of them.
    There is a wikipage about compiz, which discusses such a behavior. So what is needed is to change the entry in a compiz.desktop file.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...ion-icon.22.29

I'll try it, hope this helps as well.

------------------------
    After some time:

It occured that changing compiz.desktop file doesn't work. However what should work (it works for me for metacity) is that in one of these files
    compiz.desktop
    or
    metacity.desktop

the property hidden should be set to false. In the other file it should be true.
    According to http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...t/ar01s05.html if the "Hidden=true" exists, then something, which *.dekstop file references to, existed at some point in the past and not anymore. In my case for both these file I had true value. So Windows manager was not loaded for any of them. When I enabled metacity (hidden=false), then everything is ok. I have already turn on and off the computer for few times and this is still ok.

When there were no files (removed) then some default settings were chosen and managers were launched.

Regards,
    Krzysztow.
    Last edited by Krzysztow; October 24th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123