Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is breaking my computer arghhhhh?

Beans

Re: what is breaking my computer arghhhhh?

y'all still dere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This definately sounds like a hardware problem, and not a software or OS problem to me. My first thought was "hard drive faliure" but since that's already been ruled out, I'd go with power supply, especially after reading those specs. I'd say try a different power supply, at least 400w. OTOH, if it was simply a *bad* power supply, that can lead to all sorts of wonky problems, and even cause different problems, such as hard driver failure, ram failure, video card failure, etc. If you don't have another PSU handy to test, then I'd say first try running a memtest on it. Memtest is a program that test your ram and checks it for errors. It comes on any linux live CD, you simply choose it at the boot menu when you first boot from the CD. If it return errors, then you have bad ram, and you need to replace the ram ASAP.

Oh, and once you isolate the issue and replace the bad hardware, do a fresh install of the OS, just to make sure.
    Visit my blog! -> tuxrant.blogspot.com
    Help fix my bugs! Bug #251142 & Bug#255393.

.evets, Ubuntard #23275

Beans

I think you have a problem with your motherboard or your CPU. I had a problem with an old computer of mine running Ubuntu 6.06, that just kept restarting the OS. I called a friend of mine and he told me the problem was the motherboard.

Beans

thabks for the speedy replies guys il try the mem test then is it doesnt return errors il try to replace the psu although i saw that the psu was fixed in the case would that prevent me replacing it??

thabks for the speedy replies guys il try the mem test then is it doesnt return errors il try to replace the psu although i saw that the psu was fixed in the case would that prevent me replacing it??
    Read the Memtest86 Technical site.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12