Thread: 12.04 64-bit, browsers crash constantly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

12.04 64-bit, browsers crash constantly

Hello,

On one of my desktops running a 64-bit install, I can't use a web browser without it crashing every 10-100 seconds. It's very frustrating.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, Konqueror and Opera. If I run Opera from the command line, when it crashes, it says /usr/lib/opera/opera got signal SIGSEGV at address....

I don't have to be at any specific URL in order to crash the browser. I can go to a blank page when the browser starts up and it'll crash, sometimes within seconds.

I installed Ubuntu in late April. No other programs have crashed*, but I can't find a browser that doesn't crash.

* Except Apt, but somehow my cache files had become corrupted.

Beans

Re: 12.04 64-bit, browsers crash constantly

Did you update? I had similar after an update....So be very careful what you update with the update manager! (see my other post)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ahso4271 View Post
    Did you update?
    This has been a problem ever since I installed 12.04. Updates don't seem to have an impact on the browser crashes.

Beans

I am currently having a similar problem after a recent update. Chromium and two flavors of Chrome (stable & unstable) both give me problems. About 75% of websites don't load, the browser tab just freezes and eventually asks me to kill the page. Firefox crashes a few seconds after starting.

Did you have any luck resolving this issue? I'm using LTS 12.04 on an Asus eee 1001p netbook, using "intel" Xorg drivers.

Beans

Sorry to hijack this thread. Starting chrome with "--disable-plugins" has improved the situation significantly. Still, some websites like gmail and facebook do not load correctly. Chrome displays the page but then the tab freezes.

Beans
    Distro

I never did get the computer to work properly. I tried out 12.10 when it came out, but the problem persists.