Thread: Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

I upgraded to Hardy and therefore Firefox 3 and I have found that it isn't saving print settings.

For example, I need to enable 'print background colours' and 'print background images' and also I turn off the text that appears in each corner (page numbers, url etc). At the moment I have to set these options every time I print, for some reason they arent saved. They saved fine in firefox 2.

I also noticed the print dialogue has changed a fair bit. I dont like that the 'print selection only' option has moved and is now in the options tab rather than the first tab, but thats just an annoyance. I can live with that, but i really want the other stuff to save.

Can anyone offer any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

This is so bad I have stopped using Firefox and am using epiphany.

Can someone at least tell me if they have this same problem? Try printing any web page, under options change the settings. Then when you print again, see if the setting remain?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Dr,
    Go into about:config in Firefox. Type "print" in the filter box. Scroll down to this setting:"print.save_print_settings". Double click that line to change value to "true".
    Report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Okay I see there was never a report back.

I have upgraded to FireFox 3 on Ubuntu and the printer settings arent saved.

I use ubuntu with a web-based point of sale system so I need to set all of the stuff around the printout to --Blank--. This worked fine in FF2.

I've tried the config change mentioned above, the value was already true before I clicked on it. I changed it to false and back a few times but it just doesn't seem to register.

Any suggestions anyone??

This is quite an urgent annoyance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Does anyone know if this has been resolved in 3.5?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

I have to agree this is a major pain in the (_|_) .

I am stuck uysing FF2 because of this, this is not a upgrade this is a hindrance.

At least if the settings could be saved, with FF2 if you had a framed window (I use SQL-ledger) it would print the active frame, now with FF3 it's print > options > print selected frame EACH time I want to print a report or invoice.

not good

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Dr,
    Go into about:config in Firefox. Type "print" in the filter box. Scroll down to this setting:"print.save_print_settings". Double click that line to change value to "true".
    Report back.
    Have you tried this yet??? dr

Beans

Yes; I tried changing the print settings in about:config, but with the same results...the problem still persists. Worse, the changes I made in about:config did not hold either. After restarting Firefox, the settings I changed were reset to their default values. Following advice in various FAQs and forums, I also looked for any user-preference .js files that might be over-riding the changes in about:config. No luck there, nor did it help to delete the prefs.js file, and I failed to locate any numbered .js files that could influence the settings. I have four machines in my care, all used by noobs to surf the 'Web. They're all disturbed printing "doesn't work like it used to" and want me to "make it like it was before". I can't, and feel frustrated. Any ideas for what to try next? With many thanks in advance. -- Dan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have just noticed that Thunderbird has the same problem!
    So what's making both Mozilla products ignoring printer settings???