Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

Beans

Re: Firefox 3 doesnt save print settings

I have a fix for this one! Took me a few minutes, but I figured it out. Works for Firefox 3.5.

1. Type about:config in the address bar.
    2. Type 'header' or 'footer' (depends which one you want to edit) in the Filter box. You should now see a couple of lines like:

print.printer_(your printer).print_headerright
    or
    print.printer_(your printer).print_footerright

They have values listed at the end of the line (like &U, &PT, &D). You can edit the different lines by rightclicking on them.

You can set the default values for each printer now. I know &U stands for URL. I bet you can figure out the rest.

Beans

Firefox 3.5 in Karmic still doesn't save settings for me. I have tried every about:config setting that seemed relevant. I don't know what relevance the header or footer settings might have. I am trying to save the resolution. It always defaults to 300x300 DRAFT. Most annoying, as more than one person has complained.

Beans

I am having this exact-same problem with Ubuntu 9.10 and Firefox 3.5.3 through 3.5.7.

After scouring the forums and the 'Net, I have tried every suggested fix, to no avail; I can change the printer settings and they hold *once* before reverting to Draft settings.

This is bad enough that I am ready to leave the Ubuntu fold and return to the Windows 7/XP options of my tri-boot setup...I can print everything normally in Ubuntu except when I try to print in Firefox. What good is web browsing if all you can do is print in draft?

Please...is there a resolution for this terribly frustrating problem? Things worked fine in 9.04 for me and when I ran Firefox 3 in my Wubi install of 9.10. The problem seems to be specific to Firefox 3.5x _as included in_ 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also have this problem with different printers on different locations. Every other application retains settings but Firefox defaults to 300 dpi which renders graphics useless. Even latest nightly build of Firefox does not help.

It's not user friendly not to mention how much more paper is used

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Dr,
    Go into about:config in Firefox. Type "print" in the filter box. Scroll down to this setting:"print.save_print_settings". Double click that line to change value to "true".
    Report back.
    Have you tried this yet??? dr

Beans

Yes; I tried changing the print settings in about:config, but with the same results...the problem still persists. Worse, the changes I made in about:config did not hold either. After restarting Firefox, the settings I changed were reset to their default values. Following advice in various FAQs and forums, I also looked for any user-preference .js files that might be over-riding the changes in about:config. No luck there, nor did it help to delete the prefs.js file, and I failed to locate any numbered .js files that could influence the settings. I have four machines in my care, all used by noobs to surf the 'Web. They're all disturbed printing "doesn't work like it used to" and want me to "make it like it was before". I can't, and feel frustrated. Any ideas for what to try next? With many thanks in advance. -- Dan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have just noticed that Thunderbird has the same problem!
    So what's making both Mozilla products ignoring printer settings???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by freedisk View Post
    I have a fix for this one! Took me a few minutes, but I figured it out. Works for Firefox 3.5.

2. Type 'header' or 'footer' (depends which one you want to edit) in the Filter box. You should now see a couple of lines like:

or

They have values listed at the end of the line (like &U, &PT, &D). You can edit the different lines by rightclicking on them.

You can set the default values for each printer now. I know &U stands for URL. I bet you can figure out the rest.
    This works just fine. Thank you.
    ASUS Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200+
    nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by freedisk View Post

or

This worked for me. Thanks!
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

Been struggling with this for years!

I think I may have found something new, although it's tough to tell if it actually helped or not since I've changed so many things in about:config...

Anyways, I noticed that for some of the other settings (not for header and footer, which can be changed easily in about:config), including zoom level and 'auto-shrink-to-fit' will be saved if you change them in "print preview" but not if you change them from the normal print dialog.

Just noting this hear in case it helps someone or in case I run into it again later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast