Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to enable scroll wheel?

Beans

Re: How to enable scroll wheel?

It's a logitech cordless mouseman optical. Model number is M-RR63. It has the left/right buttons, scroll wheel which is also a button, and a button on the thumb that used to activate the Back button in a web browser.

Yes, I'm restarting the computer between any changes made to my xorg.conf.

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't bother restarting, just hit Ctrl-ALt-Backspace after you've made the changes and log back in. That will restart X.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

You could tale a look at this thread.

Also, type "xev" in a terminal, place the pointer in the window that comes up, and scroll one step in either direction. A message like the one below should appear in the terminal. Note the button number that comes up in each direction.

Code:
    ButtonRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0x4c, subw 0x1800002, time 1737637005, (34,53), root:(599,78),
        state 0x810, button 4, same_screen YES

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My scroll wheel didn't work when I logged on to my fairly fresh Hardy Heron install today (won't scroll, but the scroll wheel button works). It has worked perfectly until today. Yesterday I installed lots of multimedia stuff and played around with config files. There were a bunch of updates today, so it's almost impossible for a newbie like me to backtrack events and find out what has gone wrong. I have not made any manual changes to the mouse settings in xorg.conf, and as far as I can tell they are still at default.

I've tried bukwirms xev tip, and I get no response at all when scrolling the wheel, while all other movements and clicks are reported. I'm not sure what that means. Do I have a hardware problem, or could a software setting give this result? The mouse is 10 years old, so a hardware failure seems reasonable. I opened the mouse and made sure no dust were covering the sensors.

Could this be caused in software? If so, where should I start looking?

EDIT: This morning the mouse wheel worked again, and I don't know what happened. I would still like to know what xev outputs; is it unmodified port listening, or are those signals manipulated by settings/software? I tried Google.
    Last edited by navlelo; September 14th, 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12