View Poll Results: Did this thread help you?
- 0. You may not vote on this poll
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
So. I want to buy a laptop and in the past i have tried and failed to get an ATI card to work in my master, or household ubuntu (64 Hardy) machine (bear in mind i bought a very new ATI card and the proprietory drivers did not exsist and i couldn't wait for them) so i ended up just buying a Nvidia Gforce, which worked almost out of the box. My question is this; the laptop i want to buy fits the following specs:
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 2.5Ghz
- Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Premium
- 400GB* HDD
- RAM: 2GB DDR
- 215.4" Widescreen WXGA TruBrite® Display
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (512MB discrete video memory and upto 1279MB shared video memory using HyperMemory technology with 2GB system RAM)=
- Intel® High Definition Audio
- Premium harman/kardon® speaker
- 4 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- FM Radio Tuner, External Microphone port, Stereo Headphone port, Sound Volume Dial, Integrated microphone
- 5-in-1 card reader Adapter Shared Slot ((SD) Secure Digital®, Memory Stick™, Memory Stick PRO™, Memory Stick PRO™Duo, Multi Media Card, Mini SD (with SD adaptor), XD Picture Card
- Integrated Biometrics - Fingerprint reader, Slot for Kensington Cable lock, Wireless LAN switch=
- 1.3MP webcam
I know, that almost everything on this list im confident will work out of the box (or with some minor fudging) but based on past experience im really not certain about my little ATI friendly (item 6 on the above list) perhaps i've just had a bad run with ATI in the past but since that run in, i have sworn by Nvidia and never again tried for ATI. does anyone know if this cards proprietory drivers exsist and work? I did browse the ATI site but the drivers (i will be building a 64b again) in the appropriate section dont necassarily indicate wether or not they are right (due to the naming of each driver under the radeon mobility section - nothing really clearly says "HD 3650").
This may sound like a noob question but as you can imagine, im not going to spend the money on a machine that does not do what i want it to do. (please see link - http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html)
Re: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
I'm with you in the NVidea thing, after all the issues I've had with this laptop both in linux and windows, I've bought nothing but NVidea since.
But I am running a Mobility Radeon FireGL 9000 on this laptop with restricted drivers functioning just fine. So I don't see why there would be any issues. It's a considerably older card, but all the limitations it's claimed to haven't run into. ie it's blacklisted for Compiz-Fusion, but I activated it and have everything running without a single issue. (one day maybe it will explode and then I'll know why, but till then...)
Tags for this Thread