Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] RTL8187 alfa network awus036h

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[SOLVED] RTL8187 alfa network awus036h

UGH! Ive been trying to get this wireless card to work for almost 8 or 9 months now! I must be just dumb or something! Can anyone show me where I can find a step by step guide to get this card to work on my IBM R60 with Hardy? Ive read so much stuff on it and I ALMOST had it working with gutsy (it could see networks but wouldnt connect). THANKS!!!
    To a man with a hammer, many things look like nails. Furthermore, I have discovered that my ability to use Linux is proportional to both my skill with Google, and my blood-caffeine content. LastFM Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: RTL8187 alfa network awus036h

So i found everything I needed to do here:

http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net/wiki/Installing

VERY GOOD instructions!!
    To a man with a hammer, many things look like nails. Furthermore, I have discovered that my ability to use Linux is proportional to both my skill with Google, and my blood-caffeine content. LastFM Blog

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] RTL8187 alfa network awus036h

so, the alfa is working good on your system now?

do you recommend the card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah it works very well. I got a 9db antenna to go with it and I can get wireless from pretty damn far. It is sturdy (lives at the bottom of my back pack) and cheap ( I paid around 80 for the card and the antenna I think). I wouldnt recommend it to some one new to linux as it is a little tricky to get it up and running. Backtrack got it up right away though, so other OSes might work better than ubuntu. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been trying to use the AWUS036H for a few months now...linux comes with native rtl8187 driver. My personal experience is (with Hardy and Intrepid) the device doesn't stay connected..if I get a minute or two out of it I'm lucky. It drops connection and won't reconnect without a LOT of messing around-sometimes it just won't reconnect - although network manager argues that it is connected. There is a bug report about it. I'll have a look at the link you've posted there..see if it's any better than the native driver. I wouldn't recommend the AWUS036H.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie999 View Post
    I've been trying to use the AWUS036H for a few months now...linux comes with native rtl8187 driver. My personal experience is (with Hardy and Intrepid) the device doesn't stay connected..if I get a minute or two out of it I'm lucky. It drops connection and won't reconnect without a LOT of messing around-sometimes it just won't reconnect - although network manager argues that it is connected. There is a bug report about it. I'll have a look at the link you've posted there..see if it's any better than the native driver. I wouldn't recommend the AWUS036H.
    I have the same problem. Major headache...
    I've tried a few things, compiling different drivers etc...
    It says its connected, but actually only works for less than a minute. Still searching for a solution. It works fine in backtrack for WEP cracking using different methods (on my own network of course), but haven't tried using it to browse the web in backtrack...
    To be human is to affirm one's humanity by recognizing the humanity of others and, on that basis, establish respectful human relations with them.

Ubuntu User 24011

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah I had the same problem with it saying it was connected but sropping the connection. I found a little how to http://globalsyzygy.wordpress.com/20...tu/#comment-19 When I complete all the steps the card works great but after I reboot It hangs during the login process and displays a blank grey box in the top corner of the screen. Can anybody tell me what's causing this? Or maybe a different way of getting the wifi to work? This one is the closest I've gotten to getting it to work.

Beans

I recently purchased the awus036h usb card. I have a dell 1727 and cannot for the life of me get it to work with Backtrack 4. Do you have any suggestions? I am still a newbie at linux, I hope it's not something really, stupid.

Edit: It works with Ubuntu, and Kubuntu. Backtrack will not even recognized it.
    Last edited by prizzy; January 4th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Arcnsparc View Post
    So i found everything I needed to do here:

http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net/wiki/Installing

VERY GOOD instructions!!
    The link is now broken, I check new one but none. If anyone knows please update this topic. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~zenr View Post
    The link is now broken, I check new one but none. If anyone knows please update this topic. Thanks!
    Can be accessed via http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtl-wifi/ and downloaded on CODE -> SVN Browse -> Download GNU tarball

Cant say it is working...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast