Thread: SELINUX and Hardy 8.04.1

Beans

SELINUX and Hardy 8.04.1

Hello
    Well i came from fedora which had selinux and i really enjoyed it, so i installed selinux on kubuntu hardy 8.04.1 (i used the apt-get install so that it removed apparmor). for one i dunno how to get to a gui where i can configure or edit selinux. second i goto system settings and under system services it says selinux is set to run at bootup, but under status it is "not running". how do i fix

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SELINUX and Hardy 8.04.1

Perhaps this may help.

As it points out, you need to add the following kernel parameters:-
    Code:
    apparmor.enabled=0
    selinux=1
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Thanks, i have read that; and while i didnt put that code in myself (ah just looked under /boot/grub/menu.lst and under my kernal options it has "apparmor.enabled=0 selinux=1"), im looking at my system logs and it says:

Code:
    Security Framework initialized
    SELinux: Initializing.
    SELinux: Starting in permissive mode.
    AppArmor: ApprArmor disabled by boottime parameter.
    so i suppose its working right; i installed SElinux through terminal of sudo apt-get install selinux* where it removed apparmor. im trying to get to what fedora would call "system-config-selinux" the gui where i can tell it to be permissive or enforcing, where enforcing it what i would prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may need to add the kernel parameter:-
    Code:
    setenforce=1
    as well.

About the SELinux GUIs, I don't think they can be found on Ubuntu mainly because they are a product of Fedora, but perhaps you could obtain the source code of the GUIs and then compile them on Ubuntu.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

Beans

Well I haven't tried to compile a GUI, I'm not that good with this stuff, yet, but i do have another question or concert. When I shutdown it shows some text that it will display (kind of like fedora does on shutdown, the text progresses downward), in it say:

Code:
    "mount: can't find /selinux in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"
    should i be concerned about this error/problem?

Also I found the command "sestatus" which helped I suppose to see what state the selinux was in:
    Code:
    @laptop:~$ sestatus
    SELinux status:                 enabled
    SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
    Current mode:                   enforcing
    Mode from config file:          enforcing
    Policy version:                 21
    Policy from config file:        refpolicy
    Last edited by justs0me; August 2nd, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To be completely honest, I am not that competent in SELinux, but I do know that there is such a mount point called /selinux, though I have no idea what it is for, perhaps you might find some help in the SELinux documentation or mailing lists?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi There...

If you are interesting on SeLinux GUI for Ubuntu, I would like to inform you that I am starting to develop on as a project for required for getting my academic degree.

It should be intended for Ubuntu and will execute all SeLinux operation, but I think I will manage it to be general for all other Linux distributions.