Thread: [SOLVED] USB file transfer, "file too large"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] USB file transfer, "file too large"

I recently made a backup archive of my hard drive. When I tried to transfer it onto an external hard drive (USB), it transfered 4 gigs of it and then quit with the message "File too large." How can I transfer the entire archive over (total 9.6 gb)?

Thanks
    Last edited by suprfish; July 24th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: USB file transfer, "file too large"

The USB drive is formatted with the FAT32 filesystem which has a maximum filesize of 4 GB. Reformat it with NTFS (which works perfectly well with Ubuntu Hardy) or ext3.

Edit: What file type is the archive? Is it .tar.gz? I believe there's a way of splitting tar.gz tarballs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I agree with the FAT32 analysis but wanted to clarify on your options of NTFS and ext3. You can use either as support has gotten better for NTFS in linux and there is fsdrivers for windows. So ultimately you could pick either but I recommend that you pick NTFS if you are primarily windows and ext3 if you are primarily linux.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The USB drive is formatted with the FAT32 filesystem which has a maximum filesize of 4 GB. Reformat it with NTFS (which works perfectly well with Ubuntu Hardy) or ext3.

Edit: What file type is the archive? Is it .tar.gz? I believe there's a way of splitting tar.gz tarballs.
    Right right right; yes (.tgz). How do I split it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if i were you i'd format the drive. FAT32 is more than a little obsolete these days. it is also inefficient on drives larger than 32GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    I recommend that you pick NTFS if you are primarily windows and ext3 if you are primarily linux.
    Interesting point, but I would modify that. Now that NTFS read-write is reliable in Linux, as a single user of my systems I would choose NTFS over ext3 for external drives any day, precisely because NTFS does not support Linux permissions. Ext3 is a damn nuisance for the single user imho. If you have an ext3-formatted external drive it will be automounted only with root privileges. Which means that you have to create a folder (as root) for the ordinary user and then chown it for the ordinary user, or chown the mountpoint (which is not a particularly good idea). Although NTFS mounted files are owned by root (if you look at properties), by the magic of ntfs-3g, the ordinary user can read, write, delete, modify or do what they like with them. Another advantage for me is that NTFS can be read by (but not written to) Mac OS. I've used NTFS to transfer large files from Linux to my Mac Mini.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i would stay away from ntfs and use ext3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron