Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

The 5 real reasons to avoid iPhone 3G:

* iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on everyone's phones.
    * iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology.
    * iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
    * iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis and Theora.
    * iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.

"This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.

We agree. A snake oil salesman not satisfied with his business of pushing proprietary software and Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology into your home, Jobs has set his sights on getting DRM and proprietary software into your pocket as well.
    fsf.org

I thought this picture was hilarious:

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

#1 reason to buy the iphone:

The fsf said not to.

Thankfully, their little rant will change nothing and the world WILL continue to spin.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

* iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology.
    Last I heard iTunes downloads went DRM free.

* iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
    Sorry to break it to you but almost EVERY cell phone has a GPS in them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's HUGE.
    The best in life is free

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLORDevil View Post

Sorry to break it to you but almost EVERY cell phone has a GPS in them
    Oh aye, but that won't put the fsf off their little rants and raves to make themselves sound important.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLORDevil
    Not true, a small minority are with iTunes Plus but the vast majority are not.

Although to be fair the only "real reason" from that list IMO is #1.
    Last edited by fluteflute; July 24th, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarify
    Linux User #381008
    Ubuntu User #22532

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Their blogger comes up with a bunch of pseudo-hippie-dippie reasons and failed to point out the main reason not to use the iPhone: In the United States, it's only officially offered via AT&T Mobile, which is the same craptastic company we used to call Cingular.

I don't know any Cingular/AT&T customers who actually like that company. My experience in their stores has been somewhat off-putting due to being creeped out (note to salesdroid: You are not my buddy, so don't just walk up and start a casual conversation about how my weekend was. Yuck).

A friend's girlfriend refuses to do business with them because the salesdroids kept showing her pink phones (she hates pink, but the salesdroids apparently believed that "all girls like pink").
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thankfully the iphone is on the UK's best network (o2).
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Foster Grant View Post
    Their blogger comes up with a bunch of pseudo-hippie-dippie reasons and failed to point out the main reason not to use the iPhone: In the United States, it's only officially offered via AT&T Mobile, which is the same craptastic company we used to call Cingular.

I don't know any Cingular/AT&T customers who actually like that company. My experience in their stores has been somewhat off-putting due to being creeped out (note to salesdroid: You are not my buddy, so don't just walk up and start a casual conversation about how my weekend was. Yuck).

A friend's girlfriend refuses to do business with them because the salesdroids kept showing her pink phones (she hates pink, but the salesdroids apparently believed that "all girls like pink").
    I have been with AT&T since before they were called Cingular, I don't have a single complaint with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Personally I think that the number 1 reason to not buy an iPhone is the same reason I don't buy other apple products, price/(performance--features) is terrible.

Other then the touch screen, I don't see any benefit the iPhone has over a Blackberry Curve, and I don't really think the touch screen is anything but 'neat', not really a deal making feature. So why would I pay a couple hundred bucks, plus a slightly more expensive plan, when I can get a refurbished Curve for 40 dollars ??

That said, my new Curve isn't perfect, far from it, but I'm spending that kinda cash on a mobile phone.

That said, if you offered me an iPhone for $40, I might consider buying it, but I'd have to look into how well it works with linux first.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast