Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install UMTSMon (GUI for 3g/HSDPA connections)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HOWTO: Install UMTSMon (GUI for 3g/HSDPA connections)

UMTSMon is currently missing in the repos, and I have not found a .deb so far, but: You can either:

1. Download an rpm-package from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...Fedora_8/i386/ and use "alien" to convert it into a .deb package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    sudo alien umtsmon-0.8-1.1.i386.rpm
    sudo chown $USER umtsmon_0.8-2.1_i386.deb # To easily being able to  (re)move this .deb later
    gdebi-gtk umtsmon_0.8-2.1_i386.deb
    or...
    2. (For i386 users) Download a compiled version from
    download the sources from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=159777 and run umtsmon directly:
    Code:
    tar -xvf umtsmon-0.8.i386.tar.gz
    ./umtsmon-0.8/umtsmon
    ...or:
    3. Download the source from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=159777 and compile + install it:
    Code:
    tar -xvf umtsmon-0.8.src.tar.gz
    cd umtsmon-0.8
    make
    sudo make install
    Note: I haven't done this myself so I don't know what packages are needed to have in order to finish the compilation...

Note: Only the first option will provide you with a menu item for UMTSMon... For the 2nd and 3rd option you need to manually install the "libqt3-mt" package before running the application. Also - I have personally only tested the 2nd option above - please report back if the others are not working.

Happy 3G surfing! Cheers!
    Last edited by motin; August 14th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: HOWTO: Install UMTSMon (GUI for 3g/HSDPA connections)

Quote Originally Posted by motin View Post
    ... Only the first option will provide you with a menu item for UMTSMon... For the 2nd and 3rd option you need to manually install the "libqt3-mt" package before running the application. Also - I have personally only tested the 2nd option above - please report back if the others are not working.
    Thanks for the instructions.

As I'm very much a beginner, I decided your first alternative would probably be the simplest to try.

Your first three lines of code for went in OK, and umtsmon_0.8-2.1_i386.deb was generated.

Your 4th line produced some warnings and a long string of SSS like this:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:18: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
    warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/GDebi/GDebi.py:93: GtkWarning: gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
    self.window_main.set_sensitive(False)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/GDebi/GDebi.py:93: GtkWarning: gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
    self.window_main.set_sensitive(False)
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

However the installation did complete, so I then tried the umtsmon command, but it was not successful:

umtsmon: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So do you think you could explain (in beginner's language please) what libqt-mt.so.3 actually is, what was it made you think that only options 2 and 3 would need the package, where I could find a copy, and what I should do to install it?

Many thanks,
    S-zz-J

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install UMTSMon (GUI for 3g/HSDPA connections)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy-zz-John View Post
    However the installation did complete, so I then tried the umtsmon command, but it was not successful:

umtsmon: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So do you think you could explain (in beginner's language please) what libqt-mt.so.3 actually is, what was it made you think that only options 2 and 3 would need the package, where I could find a copy, and what I should do to install it?
    Fastest way to install the missing library libqt-mt.so.3:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt
    Option 1 should have installed the missing lib as a dependency - if not, see above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Will this work with a mobile phone plugged via USB?

I have a Nokia E71 and would love to get the internet to work on my laptop.

Sorry, I didn't see if it was for devices that already support 3G natively.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

sorry to bring up this thread from the past, but no matter what i try i can't figure out how to get UMTSmon to bring up a PPP connection.

i downloaded the latest source files and compiled them, and umtsmon runs, but fails when creating a PPP connection.

i would really appreciate any help i can get, as the UMTS/HSDPA support in ubuntu 8.10 really sucks w/o umtsmon

debug-log: http://kraxn.t-h.cc/debug.log

funny thing, however, is that when UMTSmon runs i can _STILL_ dial up using NetworkManager, and monitor the signal strength in UMTSmon.
    Last edited by lightxx; February 19th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK I will try to help you out but I am at work and am sadly running a Windows computer.

Ubuntu 8.10 is the BEST for configuring this type of connection. It is finally built into the OSS so I don't see why you would need to compile anything.

When you right click on your network icon on the top right, you can configure a new connection. Off the top of my head I can't remember what the exact option is but you should be able to add a mobile device or phone. It asks you what country you're in, then what provider you're with and voila... It's done!

I might be forgetting 1 or 2 little things because I am going by memory but it worked with my Nokia E71 in Canada on Fido and Rogers networks.

Let me know how it goes. I can maybe check it out when I get home.

Beans
    Distro

erm ... thanks alot for your quick reply. i'm afraid i haven't made my point clear

i regard the built-in UMTS support of ubuntu 8.10 as insufficient, and i'm having a number of reasons why.

1.) there's no way to check whether your modem handshaked using GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA, which i need and want to know.
    2.) there's no built-in way to show the signal-strength, another piece of info i really want to know
    3.) there's no built-in SMS support, another feature UMTSmon has and NetworkManager lacks.

so, what i want to do is using UMTSmon for UMTS/HSDPA PPP connections instead of NetworkManager. what i'm doing now is using UMTSmon just for monitoring purposes, and let NetworkManager do the dial up, which works, but i'd rather do both things with UMTSmon

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by lightxx; February 20th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ahhh, I see...

I wish I could help but I use the network manager. I haven't had a need for all these features yet but I admit that they'd be cool if they were installed natively in the next Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

hm. you never need to know your current signal strength?

Quote Originally Posted by TekNullOG View Post
    Ahhh, I see...

I wish I could help but I use the network manager. I haven't had a need for all these features yet but I admit that they'd be cool if they were installed natively in the next Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Well it's shown on the phone so I guess the answer is no, I have never needed to know my signal strength from Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast