Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grub not booting error loading operating system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Grub not booting error loading operating system

Quote Originally Posted by dstew View Post
    Maybe the problem is not grub itself, but the 64Studio installer. Even with regular Ubuntu, grub does not install itself, but the installer's operating system (Linux) and installation program do it. Sometimes, it is that program making the mistake. Grub itself cannot alter the MBR of a disk unless you specifically direct it to do so with the setup command.

What I would do in your case is get away from having the installer install grub. Usually there is an option. At least in the regular Ubuntu installer, right before it installs grub, there is a sceen with an Advanced tab, and you can choose not to install the boot loader at all. That is the best way to go if the installer keeps making a mistake when installing grub. Then, boot a real plain grub floppy, and install grub from there exactly where you want it to go. Grub has an auto-complete feature that lets you get directory listings, and drive geometry, so you can figure out exactly which drive is which before you set it up.

Hello dstew,

I will give you an update on what has been going on. Yesterday (as you know) I did try to create a boot floppy and have grub install there, yet something disasterous happened again and once again I found myself reinstalling Windows.

So I got Windows going again last night and today I decided to try an experiment (as suggested by a fellow Ubuntuer).

I decided to physically disconnect the Windows drive completely and shut off the primary IDE connection in my Bios.

I then booted up the machine and loaded on 64Studio.

After the installation I DID look on the Grub bootloader menu and it only gives you four options. I am pulling this from memory so it wasn't exactly written like this:

1) Install to the Primary Master MBR
    2) Install to from another partition (I don't remember)
    3) Install USB
    4) Install to floppy

There wasn't an option to NOT install Grub. So being that I did want to later on boot from a floppy, I selected that option. Would you believe it wouldn't allow me to make a floppy boot???!!! It bounced back with an error message saying that because I have one hard drive that it insisted that I set it up on the primary master MBR. At first I thought the problem was due to the fact that I hadn't erased the floppy drive, BUT the thing is that when I selected the floppy drive, the Grub installer DIDN'T bother to even scan the floppy drive (evident by the floppy drive light not coming on).

Anyway, I proceeded with the only option I could and that was an MBR install of Grub.

When it was done, the machine rebooted and at first the Grub screen came up for a short time and then went straight into 64Studio. I then went for a complete shutdown and then turned on the machine for a cold boot...FLAWLESS!

So now I am beginning to believe that the old version of Grub on 64Studio was more or less built for a single drive install.

So I did get to wondering if I should put both Windows & 64Studio on one hard drive. But I am not sure.

At any rate I went into Bios to see what was happening now that I only had the Sata drive hooked up. I expected the "IDE Hard Drive C:" designation would change. Guess what? It didn't. In fact my boot order list was identical as for the multi-drive setup:

1) IDE Hard Drive C:
    2) IDE CD-Rom
    3) Floppy Diskette
    4) USB Bootable drive

However there was an entry missing from the F12 Menu:

1) Normal
    2) SATA
    3) IDE Hard Drive C:
    4) Floppy Diskette
    5) IDE CD-Rom
    6) USB Bootable Drive.

Yeah, the Primary Master Drive listing was gone.

Now remember that with the dual drive setup THIS was the only hard drive selection that worked from the F12 menu. Nothing else worked and yeilded the Cannot Find OS error.

Now with the single SATA drive, I am able to boot into all three of the first selections without a problem.

So something is really funky going on.

But as of now, I know that I would have to make some serious alterations to Grub because it is now seeing the SATA drive as the main drive (HD0,0). So I KNOW I can't just simply hook up my Windows drive again and expect it to work.

Anyway, I do have also an outside fellow that is helping me and he is assisting me with updating Grub to the version Ubuntu uses and hopefully that can correct my problem. He believes the fault is lying in the older version of Grub that 64Studio comes with.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu 64Studio. Maybe they have a forum that you can post on.
    Yeah, they do have a forum, but it is kind of poorly laid out and most of the guys there are pretty much on an exclusive 64Studio setup. As I proved this morning, if that is the case then the installation works flawlessly. But I have a dual boot with mixed drives and a BIOS that doesn't want to change a hard drive boot up from anything BUT IDE Hard Drive C: So I am kind of a 'special case'.

I just figured that because this is mainly a Grub issue that my buddies here at Ubuntu could help me out. This is just such a WIDE support base here and answers come fast.

But I know that if this last trick doesn't work out, I am probably going to put Ubuntu Studio back on. I know Hardy has it's problems, but I do know that it is being worked on.

The guy's reasoning over at 64Studio as to why they are using an older version of Grub is because of stability. But apparently they didn't take into account the many situations that happen when one wants to dual boot. So that is where the help falls a bit short.

At any rate, I will report back if installing the new Grub is a success.

Geo
    Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.
    As the Fios Flea says, "W-O-W"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the update. It is strange your BIOS seems to detect if you have the SATA drive in there, at least on the F12 menu, but then does not have the option in the regular BIOS setup. It could be a BIOS bug. You might look into updating your BIOS.

Best wishes, dstew.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dstew View Post
    Thanks for the update. It is strange your BIOS seems to detect if you have the SATA drive in there, at least on the F12 menu, but then does not have the option in the regular BIOS setup. It could be a BIOS bug. You might look into updating your BIOS.

Best wishes, dstew.
    Yeah, I found that strange too, but yet it CAN boot properly from the SATA drive. It has to be because that is all I have in my machine right now (I disconnected the IDE Windows Drive completely).

Why the Bios is still labeling the drive partion as IDE Hard Drive C: is beyond me. It isn't an IDE drive and it doesn't have a C: designation. Yet the drive is booting up properly on start up.

I figured something like this would throw Grub for a huge loop, but instead with the single hard drive (AND being a SATA drive too) the installation was flawless.

But I can't continue to run like this becase I need my Windows applications too. So a dual boot is a necessity.

At any rate I did download the Super Grub iso file for diskette and put it on a Floppy. So I could go that route in the event the current plan doesn't work.

I was talking of another bootloader but everyone is still saying that I should stick with Grub or Super Grub and that all my problems were mainly because how the installer of 64Studio interacted with THAT version of Grub.

Apparently it doesn't know how to handle the IDE/SATA configuration I have. So it sets it up the way it knows how. The trouble is that the actual partition where Grub is, my computer can't boot to.

So I guess right now I am kind of taking it one step at a time. I am kind of stuck right now just trying to find a way to make this work.

As I said, I am just waiting for a response from a fellow that is helping me out with updating Grub. Since the Ubuntu Grub worked on my system, updating to that and configuring my drives manually SHOULS solve the problem.

But while hanging out in 64Studio, I been noticing the distro does peculiar things too and there are problems I have to straighten out there as well. Those questions of course are specific to that distribution and I have left questions there. But if 64Studio gives me more problems, I am probably going to come back to Ubuntu Studio.

Once again...we will see. I will keep everyone posted once a solution presents itself that has a positive outcome.

Geo

Beans
    Distro

Hello Dstew and all,

I thought long and hard about what has been going on the past few days and I wasn't getting anywhere with 64Studio. While it may be a good operating system, I know that I am not ready to deal with the advanced problems. On top of that, 64Studio doesn't have the support base that Ubuntu has. So this morning I decided to to wipe it and my troubles with it off of my hard drive.

I am still looking into other alternatives, including an audio/video editing system based on Puppy Linux. (which does have good support BTW). However, still being a beginner/novice, I realized that my problems here (with Ubuntu) were no where near as large as my problems with 64Studio (and it is true that I didn't have a compatible sound device then as I do now). Given the great support that Ubuntu has to offer, I am more then likely going to come back to give it another go with Ubuntu Studio.

But this time I am going to heed the advice of others and go with a full install via DVD instead of installing Ubuntu and then doing the U-S upgrade. Supposedly the full DVD install yields better results. Well, we will see.

I am just going over my boot options as we speak because I do want to try a triple boot with Windows XP, Puppy Linux, and Ubuntu Studio.

I figured I will be spending a lot of time in Puppy, but I know the problems I had with Ubuntu the first time around are being worked on and hopefully by the next Ubuntu (Studio) incarnation, that I will see many more improvements.

But thanx anyway for helping as I believe it was the older version of Grub on the 64Studio CD that was causing all my problems.

It is the great support here at Ubuntu that pulled me right back.

Geo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123