Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Linux gaming forum

Beans

Dedicated Linux gaming forum

Hello all,

I'm considering starting a forum devoted to gaming on Linux. This will encompass both open-source and commercial games, including those that run in Wine and various emulators - basically any game that you can play on Linux.

If you're interested in helping out, please send me a PM. Right now this is all in the planning stages, so it's the perfect time to express an interest and jump on board. I do not plan on paying anybody, as I assume most of the expense will be coming out of my pocket in the form of hosting, domain, and forum licences (if you're willing to chip in, please let me know!). Eventually I might look into obtaining sponsors, whereby we ask companies to donate either hardware (computers, graphics cards, etc) or software (games) and raffle them off to help pay for upkeep.

I don't have much set in stone at the moment, and I look forward to any feedback. If you're interested in helping out, and/or have anything to say, please reply or send me a PM. While I think the Gaming & Leisure section on this forum is an invaluable resource, I was hoping to create a forums site devoted to Linux gaming exclusively- I don't mean to compete with this one, but rather serve as an extension of sorts.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Beans

Re: Dedicated Linux gaming forum

I dunno how much extra time I have to help, but I have a TON of extra storage space and bandwidth on my hosting plan. Mostly because it was the cheapest plan offered by Dreamhost and my stuff just keeps growing.

I'd love to see some of it put to good use, especially for something like this -- at least until your site grows so insanely large that it devours my 6+ TB of bandwidth. =)
    PM for details if you're interested.
    People will be much more willing to help you if you ask smart questions.

Beans

I'm making some progress on this. If anybody is interested, please do reply, or send me a PM.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Love to lend a helping hand, PM sent

Beans

Thanks for all the replies. I hope to have something up and running on Monday to share with those who have expressed an interest.

Beans

Im down for Moderation and support (forum support).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Which CMS for Forums would you use?

Beans

I'm leaning towards vBulletin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Will you be doing howtos? I've been thinking about writing / updating some Loki game howtos for 8.04 Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was also actually thinking of doing this as well. I have a few servers sitting around doing nothing if you want some free hosting. I'd love to see gaming and linux become synonymous.
    If it isn't broken, let's fix it anyways. What else are we going to do, seriously?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast