Thread: Live CD Hangs on Boot

Beans

Question Live CD Hangs on Boot

I finally decided to get rid of Windows XP Pro on my PC and replace it with Ubuntu 8.04. I've used Ubuntu before (in fact, I'm using it right now on my laptop), but this is the first time the CD hasn't worked.

I've set my PC to boot from the CD, and when it does it takes me to the language setting and then the menu which asks if I want to 'Try Ubuntu', 'Install', etc. I go ahead and try it and then it starts to load and then nothing. I tried switching to safe graphics mode, and still nothing happens.

I'm using the same CD I used to install Ubuntu on my laptop, so I don't understand what gives. Should I just install it and hope nothing bad happens, or should I install alongside Windows and try it without the CD? I'm not at all sure what to do, and am still really, really new at Linux commands and all that jazz.

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Live CD Hangs on Boot

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.david.lim View Post
    I finally decided to get rid of Windows XP Pro on my PC and replace it with Ubuntu 8.04. I've used Ubuntu before (in fact, I'm using it right now on my laptop), but this is the first time the CD hasn't worked.

I've set my PC to boot from the CD, and when it does it takes me to the language setting and then the menu which asks if I want to 'Try Ubuntu', 'Install', etc. I go ahead and try it and then it starts to load and then nothing. I tried switching to safe graphics mode, and still nothing happens.

I'm using the same CD I used to install Ubuntu on my laptop, so I don't understand what gives. Should I just install it and hope nothing bad happens, or should I install alongside Windows and try it without the CD? I'm not at all sure what to do, and am still really, really new at Linux commands and all that jazz.

Any help?
    Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Just in case have you checked the cd for errors?

Beans

I did run a CD check and it said it was fine.

My specs:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
    Memory (RAM): 1279 MB
    CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
    CPU Speed: 2184.9 MHz
    Sound card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
    Screen Resolution: 1440 X 900 - 32 bit
    Network: Network Present
    Network Adapters: NETGEAR RangeMax(TM) Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter WPN111 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    CD / DVD Drives: D: ATAPI DVD DC 16X8X5 | E: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F | F: XG3775C TGH407F
    COM Ports: COM1
    LPT Ports: LPT1
    Hard Disks: C: 55.8GB | H: 232.8GB
    Hard Disks - Free: C: 32.5GB | H: 30.9GB
    Manufacturer: Mitac International
    Product Make: Dimension 2350
    AC Power Status: OnLine
    BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 03/24/03 | IntelR - 42302e31
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation 07W080

The thing is old, old, old. I just want to run an operating system on it that won't give me anymore hastle.

Beans

ubuntu will run pretty fine....could you check your drive for errors??

Beans

if you used the 64 bit ubuntu cd for your laptop it may not work with your desktop as the desktop may have a 32 bit processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Generally whenever I've had issues with the live CD I use the equivalent alternate CD and usually that is enough to get going.
    HTPC:EP45-UD3R Q6600, 8Tb , 4 Gb DDR2 800, GF 7100GT, PVR 500 Tuner, Firefly rf. Server:Ubuntu P35C-DS3R, Q6600, 6Tb, 8 Gb DDR2 800, Asus 8600GT,Ubuntu:TF7025-M2, AMD x2 5000+ BE, 4 Gb DDR2 800, 500Gb , NV 7025 Xubuntu: eeePC 701, 8GB SSD, 2GB DDR2.

Beans

Now that I think of it, I don't really need my PC at all. I use my laptop far more, especially now since I've tried it with my printer and that works great, as well as taking it over to a friend's house and connecting to his wireless network. I'll just keep the PC as a Windows machine for gaming and suchlike for whenever I'm bored, I suppose, but I'll keep the laptop for absolutely everything else. It just seems a bit more trouble than it's worth to start an Ubuntu installation and possibly have it screw up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is possible that the display driver for the installation disk is not working properly with your hardware. Try using the kernel parameters vesa=force or vga=791. You enter these on the kernel line, which you can get to by pressing F6 at the opening menu.