Thread: problem with CPU scaling (very bad)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Angry problem with CPU scaling (very bad)

With no apparent reason, the CPU speed drops to 800 mhz and stay there for a while. Then somethimes the system freese or the speed goes up again.

Its bad because the computer get too slow and start to get too hot.

Ive read the forum here and found no solution or no related problem like mine

System: ubuntu 8.04 (upgraded from 7.10)
    Computer: dell D830

Where to start to solve this?

Code:
    ozp@ozp-d830:~$ cpufreq-info 
    cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
    Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      driver: acpi-cpufreq
      CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.00 GHz
      available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 800 MHz.
                      The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz.
    analyzing CPU 1:
      driver: acpi-cpufreq
      CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.00 GHz
      available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 800 MHz.
                      The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz.
    Look above, even after I change the governor to PERFORMANCE the speed is set to 800 and cannot change.

And then after a while its goes back to what it should be, but in the mean time the computer is a OLD TURTLE and frezze to death

The only clue I have about some possible reason is that this problem happends when I have deluge mplayer on. (I dont know if this is related or not)

I have this installed with root privileges running : CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor 2.22.2

please help

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: problem with CPU scaling (very bad)

Your processor isn't going to run at a full 2GHz all the time. It's only going to run as fast as it needs to. I have a dual core AMD Turion TL-58 processor in my laptop, and it normally runs at 800MHz on both cores. It's range is 800MHz to 1.9GHz.

Now if it isn't scaling when it should, that is another issue. As is the freezing. This may indicate some software issues or possibly a bad processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It could be the case that the lowered frequency is not causing the heat but instead that the heat is causing the lower frequency. I would verify that all the fans on the machine are running and that nothing is obstructing the vents on the machine (especially dust). Using compressed air to clean the vents of a laptop at least once a month can really help these sorts of problems.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro

Vor, I'll clean the FAN and see if it works

I think that may be the heat that is causing the problem. Also because the problem happends most at my home, when I use the computer sitting on the top of a "pillow"

The weird thing is that this problem began after the 8.04 upgrade. Before that is never happend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, well that might be part of your problem. I tell this to everyone I know who owns a laptop or is thinking of getting one: whenever you use it, make sure that there is sufficient room on the bottom of the computer and sides for air flow, and make sure the vents aren't covered so that the computer can pump the heat out and suck cool air in. Otherwise, your computer will overheat, slow down, and eventually stop working altogether as various components take heat damage over time. Do not rest your laptop on a pillow! The pillow conforms to the shape of your laptop, effectively covering the vents, making it REALLY easy to overheat!
    Visit my blog! -> tuxrant.blogspot.com
    Help fix my bugs! Bug #251142 & Bug#255393.

.evets, Ubuntard #23275

Beans
    Distro

I feel like the most newbie ever....

Using compresseed air on the notebook fan made the temperadure drop 10, 15 degrees or more.

I think the cpu speed wont drop again