Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get your ESI MAYA 44 to work

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get your ESI MAYA 44 to work

Hello to all,

First post on the forum and allready I'm looking for help :/

I'm not sure what to do, I'm looking for a lightweight DAW suitable OS and at the moment I'm thinking of dumping 64studio and building it from scratch on debian 5.0 or the newest ubuntu release. I've got a basic P45 dualcore setup with the ESI Maya44 PCI card. I love the low latencies / price ratio on this unit

If anyone has any hints on how to get this working on 64studio 3.0 beta3 I would appreciate the help. Otherwise it looks like a swap to something that works out of the box...

So I installed the OS, everything else works fine but alsa doesn't find the sound device, I quickly found this thread and tried the help on page1, well, no go. Didn't have build-essential installed and I couldn't find it on the CD either... I went through all the trouble of connecting the unit to the internet and apt-get install build-essential, but no go. It complained about dependency issues, libc6-dev was conflicting with libc-dev, complains about '/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h' needing to be overwritten. I don't even want to know why and how that is possible. I got past that by dpkg --force-overwrite.

Now I have gcc g++ and make, so far so good. Nah, try to build alsa 1.0.17, complained about headers and the sorts, seems this OS uses the 2.6.29-1-multimedia kernel, I download the kernel and get the next error: "Makefile_32.cpu directory or file does not exist" Umm.. what? So I go into /usr/src/linux..... and there's absolutely nothing but a few folders in the whole headers package. So I went back to synaptics and got 2.6.26 common and multimedia and just plain copied everything from there manually. Still no go, now it starts doing something but it complains about wrong arguments and the sorts in the log and gives make [2] and make [1] errors. The errors mostly relate to memory wrapper and cpuinfo_x86 but I have no clue where to go from here. This all starts to seem like something impossible to do

I've tried compiling alsa 1.0.17, 1.0.22.1 and 1.0.17 with the .diff patch, all give the same errors. Something is amiss but I've dropped the ball.

Any help appreciated, and nice to join the forum!
    Kristjan

Beans

Thought of edit, but since this is kind of long.. here goes:

I went and rolled over the 64studio install with the 5.0.3 Lenny in hopes of getting the card to work.

I Built the ALSA 1.0.19 drivers, config and install both went through, rebooted unit.
    Ran alsaconf, found a "ice1724 VIA technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel..." driver/card and it stopped in the end with: "/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1497: No soundcards found..."
    At the same time it still claims "Now ALSA is ready to use."
    Well, it doesn't work, doesn't even find a soundcard..

Ran the 1.0.19.diff patch after this... and it didn't find the files to patch?
    It was looking for 3 different folders and several makefiles under 'alsa-driver-1.0.19/alsa-kernel/' wich simply doesn't exist, renaming the 'alsa-firmware-1.0.19/' to the 'alsa-driver-1.0.19/', made no difference

Skipped the missing files with 'Enter' and built the driver
    It looked like it worked like it should, restarted unit, still nothing.
    Ran alsaconf, alsaconf finds the card "ice1724 VIA technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel..."
    After it was ready to configure the sound levels etc, it gave the same error as before. No soundcards found...

I'm still in the same spot. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. It can't be that hard..
    I dread the idea of going back to Windows 7 although I do have a legal copy of ultimate...

Any help appreciated,
    Kristjan

Edit: Oookay, now I do feel dumb, downloaded the correct 'alsa-driver-1.0.19' package and all the headers for the 2.6.26-2 kernel and everythnig worked after a patch > build > install > restart..

Thanks for a great guide, hope someone learns from the mistakes I've made :/
    Last edited by blackslide; March 1st, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Argh..

Beans

wan anybody able to make it work the Maya44e (the new one which mounts in pcie slot)?

Beans

hi i need help with the installation of my maya 44, when running make I got this error

/ Home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore/info.c: In function 'snd_info_entry_prepare':
    / Home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore/info.c: 161: error: 'struct proc_dir_entry' has no member named 'owner'
    / Home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore/info.c: In function 'snd_info_register':
    / Home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore/info.c: 1003: error: 'struct proc_dir_entry' has no member named 'owner'
    make [3]: ** [/ home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore/info.o] Error 1
    make [2]: ** [/ home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3/acore] Error 2
    make [1]: ** [_module_/home/tiago/maya44/alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3] Error 2
    make [1]: Leaving directory `/ usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-22-generic '
    make: ** [build] Error 2

someone help me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk Krawczyk View Post
    In This tutorial, I will describe how to install ESI MAYA 44 PCI under UBUNTU 8.04

ESI MAYA 44 driver was made by Rainer Zimmerman, thanks to initiative of Piotr Zaryk. I just made update, against new alsa-driver source code. Unfortunately, nobody knows if this patch whenever become official part of alsa, because Rainer didn't sign-off his driver and contact with him was lost. If you want see this patch merge, in the next release of alsa-driver, please write a message on alsa-driver mailing list.

Turn on terminal and type the following code:
    Code:
    cd; mkdir maya44; cd maya44
    wget http://prl-quakewars.ovh.org/maya44patch-alsa-driver-1.0.17.diff.tar.gz
    wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2
    Extract patch and alsa-driver-1.0.17:
    Code:
    tar -xjf alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2
    tar -xvzf maya44patch-alsa-driver-1.0.17.diff.tar.gz
    Apply patch by typing:
    Code:
    patch -p0 < maya44patch-alsa-driver-1.0.17.diff
    Download dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Configure and make alsa-driver:
    Code:
    cd alsa-driver-1.0.17
    ./configure --with-cards=ice1724 --with-sequencer=yes ; make
    If everything goes well, you can install new driver by typing:
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Restart your system and enjoy your ESI MAYA 44 sound card under Linux.

Forgive me my poor english

-----

Here's a patch for UBUNTU 8.10 beta against alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3:

esi_maya44-alsa-1.0.18rc3.diff.tar.gz

In attachment, I add patch against current version of ALSA.
    Hey guys, im new to Ubuntu and have no idea what any of this coding is, but i want to be able to use my Maya 44 USB with ubuntu, any help would be absolutely great as i really need to use it record mixes! thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Bag of Paper,

Good news! All the fancy code is for getting the Maya 44 PCI to work.
    For the USB version, you just plug it in and it works fine (or, so I hear.) I've never used a USB audio device with Ubuntu, so I can't say where to go from there, but it should just work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tropcon View Post
    Bag of Paper,

Good news! All the fancy code is for getting the Maya 44 PCI to work.
    For the USB version, you just plug it in and it works fine (or, so I hear.) I've never used a USB audio device with Ubuntu, so I can't say where to go from there, but it should just work.
    I tried this the first time and it didnt work, i think its because i need the ASIO drivers. Are they available for Ubuntu? I did a google search but didnt have too much luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ASIO? Are you trying to use it with a windows program running on WINE? If I remember correctly, ASIO is a windows driver that people have been able to mod to get low latency audio on WINE. Unless you're using a windows program, you shouldn't need ASIO. The inputs/outputs should just come right up in ALSA and JACK.

It might help to know what exactly you're trying to do with this thing, what programs you're trying to use and what your experience has been so far.

You may also want to try starting a new forum thread. All the people who want to help are usually looking for new threads. This one is rather old.
    This thread is also for the PCI card. Talking about the USB one is a little off-topic.

Beans

someone who makes a topic of how to install maya 44 usb because I think there are some doubts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tropcon View Post
    ASIO? Are you trying to use it with a windows program running on WINE? If I remember correctly, ASIO is a windows driver that people have been able to mod to get low latency audio on WINE. Unless you're using a windows program, you shouldn't need ASIO. The inputs/outputs should just come right up in ALSA and JACK.

It might help to know what exactly you're trying to do with this thing, what programs you're trying to use and what your experience has been so far.

You may also want to try starting a new forum thread. All the people who want to help are usually looking for new threads. This one is rather old.
    This thread is also for the PCI card. Talking about the USB one is a little off-topic.

Ok well i found a thread before about the USB maya 44 and there were no replies, so i figured this would be a better outlet to get some help, yes slightly off topic, but ive been trolling the internet for days trying to get this to work.

Basically I don't know what WINE, ALSA or JACK is. I've installed Ubuntu to use on my netbook for general use as well as at university and i'm in the process of building a PC for production (windows). I'm completely new to ubuntu and so i've got no idea how it works really, i'm running Ubuntu 10.4.

In the meantime i want to use my ESI maya 44 USB to record mixes on Ubuntu. When i plug it in the lights come on internally but no sound comes out, i went to to system > sound > hardware and the maya 44 doesnt show up.

thanks

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast