Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you learn to program

Cool How did you learn to program

I use windows (my copy of ubuntu is on its way) and i have NEVER tryed programing before.

Can you give me some basic tips?????

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How did you learn to program

What do you want to do?

Beans

Python is probably the best language to start off with. It gives you a fabulous foundation to start off with and teaches you good habits as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    Python is probably the best language to start off with. It gives you a fabulous foundation to start off with and teaches you good habits as well.
    Learning to Program
    Beginners Guide

joedaman, Welcome and Good Luck!
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans

Also, Dive Into Python is a nice read as well. It comes installed with Ubuntu, or you can view it online at http://www.diveintopython.org/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by joedaman
    I use windows (my copy of ubuntu is on its way) and i have NEVER tryed programing before.

Can you give me some basic tips?????
    In my opinion there are three ways. Depending on your attitude and goals choose the one that fits you.

#1 start bottom-up as close to the machine as you can and then move up to higher languages. (eg start with assembly or C and end up with java,c#,php,perl,python)
    (If you are willing to spend a lot of time on learning to program)

#2 start with python and only go closer to the machine when you need more power or want a challenge.

#3 If you are thinking about a specific task (like programming the backend for a website). Try to find the programming language that best fits your needs.

some hints on programming languages (subjective):

matlab is nice for mathematical / technical computing. It's great when you need to quickly implement and try out some algorithm that uses a lot of matrices.

C / C++ : use this to program kernel,drivers,3d engines,stuff that needs max power and is worth the extra programming time

perl : parsing

php : (web)serversided programming

java : platform independent

c# : safer than C,most likely somewhat faster than java, your programs run in windows and linux(with mono)

python : I've read about it gonna try soon. It seems nice for almost everything else. especially : glueing applications together and quickly generating graphical applications / frontends.

Beans
    Hidden!

Python is a mitre saw.

Java is a bench saw.

C is a screwdriver.

C++ is a Phillips-head screwdriver.

C# is a screwdriver that has a funny head.

perl is a hammer.

What do you want to build? You cannot argue what tool is the best without knowing what you want to do!

Beans

He already said what he wants: learn how to program!
    I think python is a great learning tool. If you think it is not enough (I still don't think so) you can learn anything else.
    Just don't belive in any language slogan!
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans
    Hidden!

I wanna program.

That could mean games or internet utilities or system utilities or anything! You would not use php for games, nor would you use C to make dynamic websites.

_What_ do you want to program?

If this person is thinking about a career in in software engineering, maybe python wold not be as good a choice as C. If this person wants to learn linux and feel comfortable in Unix systems, perhaps just learning bash scripting would be ideal.

Maybe web site design is what turns this persons crank; perl php even java!

You can't just say that one tool is the best. Just like you can't say that a hammer is better than a tape measure.

(Now don't go telling me that python is a swiss army knife.... That would not be accurate!)
    Last edited by az; December 20th, 2004 at 11:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I was taught C++ and x86 asm in college, later I started learning C# which I enjoy quite a bit.

I would go with C# for a first language, there are good books for it around, even ones based on Mono.

Of course I'm biased.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast