Thread: how to share internet

Beans

how to share internet

I need to share my windows internet connection with my linux computer because I don't have a working GUI on my linux box and can't get updates until I am on the internet. My firewall requires a login but never prompts for a login when I try to ftp or access the internet, so I want to use a ******* PC for my netwqork connection. How can I share my windows internet connection with linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to share internet

What kind of internet connection DSL, Cable, Dial-up

A cheap router could be a better solution but try this if you dont want to do that

try these instructions form the Windows PC

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

Beans

Ok..That seems like a big pain and I can't get a router because it is not my network. Is there a way to get a list of all the packages I need to get gnome up and running and somehow copy them from an existing linux computer down to a dvd? If I can get a gui up and running, th4en I can use a browser. Once I can browse, the firewall can prompt me for a user and password. Then I can get authenticated to use the internet. In any case, I need to get a list of the needed packages for gnome or kde and burn them to dvd. Where can I find this info?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winsane View Post
    Ok..That seems like a big pain and I can't get a router because it is not my network. Is there a way to get a list of all the packages I need to get gnome up and running and somehow copy them from an existing linux computer down to a dvd? If I can get a gui up and running, th4en I can use a browser. Once I can browse, the firewall can prompt me for a user and password. Then I can get authenticated to use the internet. In any case, I need to get a list of the needed packages for gnome or kde and burn them to dvd. Where can I find this info?
    I'd say you try the AptOnCD utility. It's available in the repo:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install aptoncd
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Would w3m work fine for that (it's a console browser that doesn't need X11).
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero-4 View Post
    Would w3m work fine for that (it's a console browser that doesn't need X11).
    My mistake, I misread your first post ("because I don't have a working GUI on my linux box"). Actually aptoncd works in GUI mode.
    And that does not support your situation.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

1. Just enable internet connection sharing in windows
    2. Connect your windows & Ubuntu using a cross over ethernet cable.
    3. Assign IP address for windows & Ubuntu in same subnet.
    4. Enjoy the internet from your Ubuntu.
    ((¯`·._ Harikumar_.·´¯))

Beans

Is there a way to transfer the packages that are already installed on one linux PC and send via the crossover cable to the other linux pc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

On the working linux PC clean your apt cache. Then type
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall -d gnome-core firefox
    , this will download all the stuff you need for your GUI and firefox without actually installing anything. After it is done downloading copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives to the linux box that doesn't have internet (it needs to be put into /var/cache/apt/archives).
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.