Thread: Ubuntu vs. Ubuntu Studio

Beans

Ubuntu vs. Ubuntu Studio

My laptop is currently in the shop, and I plan on switching from Vista to Ubuntu almost immediately upon it's return (so this makes me a pre-noob, I suppose).
    Ubuntu Studio very much interests me, but mostly in the area of audio production.
    Would there be any benefit (or downfall) to just getting standard Hardy Heron and merely installing the same audio editing/production programs which Ubuntu Studio would feature as opposed to just installing Studio?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu vs. Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu studio uses a tweaked kernal aka realtime kernal. This seeks to solve problems of latency when using multiple tracks.

Basicall it forces linux to give absolute priority to that purpose. I would recommend studio if you intend to do a lot of multitrack audio.
    If music be the food of love, are you the indigestion?
    Fingers & Thumbs at LastFM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You have the ability to try them both out. Install the Studio and then run the Live CD of Ubuntu and check out the difference. Studio (I would assume) would have more codecs & A/V packages installed by default. Ubuntu (regular desktop edition) would basically just have the necessary packages req'd for a complete user desktop more along the lines of in an office environment. You can wait for more feedback from people that have actually used the Studio version to get a better idea of what is installed by default...

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

Hi there, it doesn't really matter, since any part of Studio can be easily added to "vanilla" Ubuntu with a few simple commands. Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=861455

Note that in addition to the audio applications, the real-time kernel is important for low-latency audio production.

Conversely, if you started out with Ubuntu Studio and didn't need the video applications (for example), it is really easy to remove them.

Basically it doesn't matter which you start with. I would give you a weak recommendation to starting with Studio, since it will already have the real time kernel and studio theme (attractive, professional dark theme) already installed.