Thread: [SOLVED] sudo password

Beans

[SOLVED] sudo password

Every command that I attempt asks for the sudo password. I then cannot enter any characters. Please help. Thank you!

Beans

Re: sudo password

Quote Originally Posted by DNK View Post
    Every command that I attempt asks for the sudo password. I then cannot enter any characters. Please help. Thank you!
    Hi there, the password characters don't appear on the screen... they are invisible... but you can still type them in.

ps there is no separate "sudo password"--when you use sudo, just use your regular password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it wont show you password. its a safty feature. just type your password and hit enter it will work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hi DNK,

Be sure whenever u enter any command that needs to access root privilege the system prompts for password.

Moreover, u cannot see the password in terminals, as u usually see in form of *** or .... in login page or/and etc. U enter ur password correctly, eventhough u cannot see it in encrypted form like *** or dots etc. it works amazingly. i also read in a forum article stating someone posted it as a bug but it got rejected considering security point of view.

Anyway try entering password and see whether command gets executed or not.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not really an effective or consistently implemented "safety feature," but it also won't be changed. More details here.

Just type your password and hit enter when you're done.