Thread: [SOLVED] ubuntu to ubuntu/XP

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation [SOLVED] ubuntu to ubuntu/XP

I recently went from my ubuntu devoted machien to a dual boot with XP so i could use some software that wine couldnt handle. Anyways now im setup and all but i can't get a network connection when im using winXP or sound. So im pretty sure this is because the windows partition has no idea of the drivers i already have for my hardware. I've been looking high and low for days to find the drivers for my hardware but i can't find it anywhere. I use a Toshiba Tecra A9 laptop. Also im able to transfer files etc. from the linux partition when im using ubuntu but not when im using windows, why is this?
    Thanks in advance for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ubuntu to ubuntu/XP

Did you reinstall XP from an XP cd or did you use recovery cds? If you did the XP cd chances are it didn't come with the drivers for your hardware... to get the drivers:
    go to Toshiba's website and search for the drivers there, download them, then install them.

As far as accessing the Ubuntu HDD in XP: windows cannot read ext2 natively, so you need to install a program to help you do that:
    http://www.fs-driver.org/
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by AOZ View Post
    I recently went from my ubuntu devoted machien to a dual boot with XP so i could use some software that wine couldnt handle. Anyways now im setup and all but i can't get a network connection when im using winXP or sound. So im pretty sure this is because the windows partition has no idea of the drivers i already have for my hardware. I've been looking high and low for days to find the drivers for my hardware but i can't find it anywhere. I use a Toshiba Tecra A9 laptop. Also im able to transfer files etc. from the linux partition when im using ubuntu but not when im using windows, why is this?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    You need to add ext3 support to windows to 'transfer' files, or use a shared partition (NTFS or FAT32). You need windows drivers for your laptop, the ubuntu drivers won't work. Try to download them from toshiba's site.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Hidden!

Toshiba doesn't have them on their site?
    If not you could go to the Intel site if you have an Intel board.

As for the transefering of files, I know it is because Windows cannot read ext3 by default, but I don't know how to get it to read.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

While Ubuntu can read from and write to ntfs, the opposite is not the case. Out of the box, Windows will not read ext3.

There are however a few readers out there. For instance, check out DiskInternals
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Usually you want to make the /home partition a FAT32 so both Windows and Ubuntu can read it (just for future reference).

Toshiba should have the drivers available on their website for WinXP. Just use a different comp to dload them if you don't get internet.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Windows isn't able to transfer files from a NTFS partitions to a EXT3 partition. You can view the partition in computer management but not transfer files unless you are running Ubuntu. For the drivers try Toshiba's web site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since this post is mostly about windows, Moved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using fat32 is a bad idea since it doesn't retain premission information, hence breaking the configs saved to the user's home folders.
    Also you need to install Ext2-IFS (opensource app) to have r/w access to your ext3 partition.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] ubuntu to ubuntu/XP

I dual boot Arch with Windows (XP and Vista, which effectively makes it a triple boot, hhaha)

My / partition is quite limited, I use almost all my storage (music/video, etc) at a data partition NTFS, so both linux and windows can read it flawlessly =)