Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to improve performance using virtualbox

Beans

Re: how to improve performance using virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by spencerlewis View Post
    i totaly see what u guys are saying and i tried the preformance thing and it works! pretty neat
    Just remember to keep it set for "On Demand" most of the time. The CPU Manager in Ubuntu is VERY good at what it does. When the system needs the CPU running at full throttle, then the CPU Manager will give it everything it has. Otherwise, it is better to have the CPU throttled down and generating less heat.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

You could enable hardware virtualization support (Vt-x AMD-v)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    i enabled virtualization support and when i shutdown the vm and turn it on i get an error
    something about the bios i dont remember too much
    Last edited by tilixibr; March 18th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

I got the same error message. I have a Gigabyte system board, and I had to go into the bios of the machine and set "virtualisation" to "enabled"

After that, no more error messages.

Beans

To get the most performance out of a XP VM, use TinyXP, strip out the extraneous services, enable SATA, and clean up the disks. This article here shows you how.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    There are some settings that cannot be changed post-install for MS-Windows. While you can change the VT-x support toggle, there are other toggles that are forced when you do that which cannot be changed without a new HAL installed. It is similar for changing the number of CPUs from 1 to 2 - the easiest answer for getting the new HAL is a fresh installation of MS-Windows. Also, according to Sun/Oracle, using VT-x is actually slower than not using it for VirtualBox. Seems their code does a better job than the hardware.

Other things to make any virtualization work better, but I did test VirtualBox-OSE:
    1) Use SATA disk controllers, not IDE. Note that WinXP does not come with these drivers, so you need to have them before you switch the disk if you want to boot.
    2) Use GigE virtual networking, not 100base-tx; I like the Intel PRO/1000 MT virtual NICs.
    3) Allocate at least the best amount of RAM for the OS, not the min. For WinXP, that is 1GB.
    4) Use virtio drivers whenever possible for disk and networking (I've never done this myself and don't know if this overrides 1 and 2 or not)
    5) Do not use sparse virtual disks (disks that dynamically grow as needed); Use pre-allocated files or, even better, pass thru partitions via LVM.
    6) Place the "full" virtual files (not using dedicated LVM) on a high performance disk array.
    7) Do not allocate 4 vCPUs when the workload only needs 1 vCPU. That will take away from other VMs and cause more

I did only 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 on a WinXP VM. Here's the specifics (HowTo) http://jdpfu.com:82/2010/06/22/virtu...mance-improved and my timed results. Boot times for the VM were reduced by almost 50%.

Are there more things I should be doing?

Anyway, I'd like to see an easy how-to for virtio use under KVM. I'd honestly prefer to use KVM, but wasn't able to get acceptable performance.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 22nd, 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just to add my $.02:

As you can see in my siggy, my current system has enough cpu/ram resources to throw quite a bit at my Windows XP VM: one cpu core out of 8 and 2 GB out of 6 GB system memory. My Windows XP VM works amazingly fast and smooth. As TheFu suggested above, I think the key is to allocate enough memory and to use a fixed-size, pre-allocated .vdi file.

As far as VT-x is concerned, I didn't notice much difference between having it on and off for basic computer functions, but there was a HUGE difference in file transfer speed through USB and shared folders. Having VT-x enabled made it MUCH faster.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: how to improve performance using virtualbox

Ginsu543 how many cores are you running?

I also have an intel i7 with 8 gigs of ddr3, I'm trying to figure out the optimal settings to run virtual box in before I reinstall windows to make a new hal.

Right now I give windows 4 gigs of ram, but I think I'm killing myself with the cpu's , I installed with 1 CPU, so maybe my hal is only taking advantage of that... I'll try 4 cpu's. Do you really have to reinstall windows after that? If your additional CPU's appear in the system monitor in Windows that means that they're in the HAL?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm currently allocating only one core to my VM. That's because I set up my VM before I upgraded to my current i7 rig and was too lazy to reinstall Windows to try to take advantage of more than one core. Besides, I don't really do anything on my VM that requires a lot of cpu power. I do set aside 2 GB ram for the VM and that gives me all the performance I need for what I do.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

XP even a virtual one needs at least 512MB to operate decently but 1GB would prove better especialy if your running memory intensive applications and virtualbox offers to use the Host I/O in the storage settings so that will help and Preallocate the disk as then the disk won't need to adjust the size. also your cpu is fine but the main thing to consider is the memory needs of the host and the guest as if the host has insufficient memory for it's needs it will use the hard drive and that will cause a slowdown and then your guest will run slow but if the host has enough memory for it's needs it won't use the hard drive and won't cause a slowdown so your better off doubling or even trippling your memory if your going to be doing any kind of virtualization.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12