Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

First of all, I want to thank you guys for your ongoing interest and support on these issues. I am new to Mythbuntu,ubuntu, and Linux, so I'm learning as I go along.

The liine I used came from here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...5SUM%20on%20CD

(except I had to delete the '-v'option in the commnd line)

OK. Having tried your command line still returns all files 'OK' However, the file
    ./casper/filesystem.squashfs takes quite a while to read. I have experienced SQUASHFS errors in the past, but reformatting the hard drive pretty much eliminated them, except for the one time I got to the ubuntu disclaimer screen.

Beans

grep -v does the opposite of grep

ie grep OK will show all lines that have OK in them, grep -v OK shows all lines that DON'T have OK in them. You can see why the difference is important.

the squashfs file is by far the biggest file on the CD, thats why it takes the longest time to check its md5sum.

In realtion to earlier posts, if you use ctrl-alt-f1 to get away from the visual screen during the media check you never get back to the visual screen (at least I haven't been able to).

I can't remember where the success message appears once the cd has been checked.

But if the md5sum -c command returns OK for every file then the CD is definitely OK.

Another possibility is that the machine you are trying to boot on has a different CD drive that doesn't like the CD you have burned. Interactions between different CD writers, blanks and readers are difficult to analyse.

The problem is most likely to be in the interaction of the live CD system and your graphics card. Sometimes you need to use one of the boot options to get a particular graphics card to work properly on the live cd. I can't recall what all the options are, but they are available from the boot screen. I'm sure they will be documented somewhere in ubuntu's online docs too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cd drive is Sony Optiarc, can't remember the model. It is IDE. HD is Seagate Barracuda 40gig SATA. I've also tried the Maxtor 150gig SATA with no difference. Video is onboard nVidea GeForce 6150, I think it is HD capable. Do you think there is an IDE/SATA issue? The HTPC (the other AMD64 X2 machine) is the same MB,processor, but with PNY nVidea Verto 7600GS video card. It has a Samsung CD/DVD burner, but I can't recall if it is IDE or SATA. It generally takes the process farther, but still won't boot, as I've indicated earlier.Maybe I should burn and attempt to install on that machine ??Maybe the same burner for both would do the trick?
    I've tried booting in the "Safe Graphics" mode, but no difference except a smaller pointer arrow.

Beans

And how long have you left it after the arrow appears? I know you have left the cd check for some considerable time, but what about the boot process? Normally the arrow appears as X is starting, then the desktop builds itself. It can take a little while. The mythbuntu desktop is basically black with only a couple of icons showing, and a menu bar along the top.

Theres an outside chance that your monitor is putting the icons and menubar off the top of the screen. Does anything happen of you right click the mouse?

Anyway, if the bloody alternate cd works, go with that!! Its nice to know why something isn't working, but I am all out of ideas and its even nicer to find an "alternate" way to make it work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have left the pointer screen sit for an hour or so as well. As there is no disk or HDD activity I have to believe that there is nothing going on.
    I had considered the possibility that there was information that was off the screen, but when I move the pointer around to the edges, it is always visible when it hits the edge (except at the bottom, it is only barely visible.
    I never get to the screen that says "Home entertainment just got entertaining again."

When I attempt the 'install' option, I get the 'X'. when I attempt the live option, I get the arrow.

Once I get my video card I will proceed with an alternate installation if the full version still does not work. My nature makes it difficult to just walk away from anything that is supposed to work for anyone, but does not work for me, without understanding WHY?
    I did try burning a CD and installing on the same machine as it was burned, with the same result as other attempts.
    Thanks again for your continued support.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

I'll add my experience to the pot.

I've burnt both Hardy & Mythbuntu (AMD64 Desktop version) to CD and installed on the **Same** machine with no problems apart from the first disk which was bad.

Now

I get the new system destined to be the Mythbox in the loft. Using a different CD drive (still a CDR/RW one though). I could not get the either of the above to install no matter what I did. Slowing down the burn, interestingly produces worse results, and the CD wouldn't even verify after the burn. I reckon it was some incompatibility btw the two drives.

The solution (for me) was to install from a USB key. I installed to a 1GB flashdrive following the Manual Approach here:

Install from USB Stick

Although, the LiveUSB creator option wasn't there before - might be worth a punt?

Ubuntu installs in ~5mins off a USB2 flashdrive - I'm never going back to CD again!

Important, if you do this, you might need to edit /etc/fstab as described at the end of the article.
    Also - the bit about editing syslinux.cfg - for Hardy, the bit about editing out instances of /casper/ and /install/ should be ignored.

HTH

Simon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for sharing your experience and the suggestion. That looks interesting. I am not extremely computer savvy, however. Nearly all of my experience is in Windows. I am learning as I go along about Linux,Ubuntu, and Mythbuntu . Most of what I have learned is that I don't know enough to use these tools.

Maybe I need to take a correspondence course.............

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Go on - get stuck in. I'd never touched Linux until two months ago, it's fun to learn!
    If you have any command-line experience from DOS / UNIX, it's quite easy to pick up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, installing video card and tuner didn't help. as a last resort I installed a new CD/DVD DL RW drive. A Lightscribe SATA unit. Boom. Mythbuntu loads right up! After all that. I don't know whether the old Sony Optiarc itself was the problem, or the IDE CD vs. SATA HDD was the issue. At any rate, it loads the live environment just fine. Now, I have to learn how to configure Mythbuntu front/back ends. Time to hit the posts and manual!

Thanks to all for your input.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234