Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

Yes, As indicated I had to receive an indoctrination into the world of torrents. The final attempt last night was a 2x speed burned disk of the torrent .iso image , on a newly formatted hard drive.
    That having failed, I am going to try again after I receive and install my video card and tuner.
    My forehead is flat enough.......................Thanks to all for their help to date. I'll resurrect the thread when the above hardware is installed.
    BTW- I have run the md5sum check on the ubuntu machine and all files checked "OK"
    Last edited by Ronno6; July 24th, 2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A point of interest: When i boot the Mythbunu CD the first screen presented is a white screen that allows you to select your language. This screen is overlaid on the Mythbuntu installation selection type options screen. This screen disappears in 30 seconds or so (there is a countdown on the left side) or as soon as you select your language and hit enter. This is not addressed in the installation manual, which indicates that you will first get the install option screen. Moreover, I see that there is an option listed at the bottom of the options screen for language.
    Is this normal, or a clue to what is going on? (Or, NOT going on?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nope. That is a completely normal thing that comes up. You select your language, then get to the boot menu. This is where you select live environment or install
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When one runs the Check CD for Errors option, Does the program tell you if the disk is correct? I've tried several on another AMD64 machine I have,and all that happens is that the progress bar proceeds all the way across its field, then all stops. CD, HDD, all stop. No indication of good, bad, or ugly!
    That's more than the intended machine does. The progress bar only goes a short distance, then stops.
    If the disk is bad (or good) shouldn't something let you know?

Beans

I believe mine returned a message to the effect of no errors found.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
    When one runs the Check CD for Errors option, Does the program tell you if the disk is correct? I've tried several on another AMD64 machine I have,and all that happens is that the progress bar proceeds all the way across its field, then all stops. CD, HDD, all stop. No indication of good, bad, or ugly!
    That's more than the intended machine does. The progress bar only goes a short distance, then stops.
    If the disk is bad (or good) shouldn't something let you know?
    It tells you. But how long are you waiting for the check to finish? It takes a while.

And two posts ago you said
    BTW- I have run the md5sum check on the ubuntu machine and all files checked "OK"
    - was that by manually running md5sum -c md5sum.txt as I suggested? But when you run the check media from the cd boot menu it appears to hang?

As I say it takes a long time to check a cd full of files. The boot menu option is pretty well doing the same as the manual method.

Beans
    Distro

Not really a solution, but have you tried the 8.04.1 alternate amd64 disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I checked the disk on the ubuntu machine, I used the command line md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep 'OK$'

This returned a line-by-line program check with 'OK' at the end of every line.
    When I run 'Check disk for errors' from the Mythbuntu install option nenu, I have left it for hours and, best case scenario, the progress bar completly moves across the screen, then.....nothing. This was on my HTPC, which is NOT the intended machine. But, with exception of tuner and vid card, they are pretty much the same.
    The machine that I want to install Mythbuntu on just hangs up early in the progress bar's trek acroll the field. It never moves more than about 5% of the way across.

A note, when the HTPC sat for an hour with the progress bar completely across, I tried ctrl-alt-F1, and the screen flipped to a blank screen that said........Loading,please wait........
    Which I did for about a half an hour with no further progress.
    MOST frustrating.
    I have burned an ALTERNATE INSTALL CD, and it appears to work. Should I just quit beating my head against the wall with the Regular version? I've read that the full version is more automated than the alternate. The alternate requires more set-up operations. Maybe I should go that route, but it bothers me that this can't be sorted out to work as it is intended.

Beans
    Distro

This
    Code:
    md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep 'OK$'
    Is bad. This will always give you OK and not tell you anything useful. If I told you to do that, then I appoligize for wasting your time, for I must have been drinking.

instead just do

Code:
    md5sum -c md5sum.txt
    If you can't be bothered with every line being displayed, at least grep for the right thing. You want to grep for the opposite of OK, whether it be failed, error, whatever it is that is what you want to grep.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
    When I checked the disk on the ubuntu machine, I used the command line md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep 'OK$'
    Well... |grep OK$ will return the lines with OK in them, it won't return any failed lines!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast