Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

Beans

Re: MD5SUM Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
    I might have to do that. I finally figured how to burn more slowly via DVDFabPlatinim. Just did one at 4X. I'm reformatting the HDD so as to have a clean starting point. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Well, on one attempt it got past the pointer only screen, to the Loading screen with the ubuntu disclaimers. Then I got hit with some SQUASHFS errors that could not read sections. Now further attempts just do as before: pointer only. I'm going to try slower burn speed, say 1x. Then, i will pretty much give up.

BTW, I'm using Verbatim DVD recordables. Don't get much better than that...............
    Yes and no, its where the disks are actually made and in what batch that really counts.

And is there a particular reason you are using a DVD not a CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

I'm down to my last out. Burned at 2X on Verbatim DVD. No luck loading. I'm attempting to Check Disk for Errors. The progress bar has gone farther than usual, but disc activity has halted again. I'll give it a while, but it doesn't look good.
    I've tried the Direct Desktop Download, as well as the Desktop ISO Torrent. Nothing works. Must be something in the computer itself.
    It loaded Hardy Heron without any complication, and it loads the Alternate install CD OK as well.I've downloaded and installed the i386 version on my old P3. I can't understand why the only one that will not work (yet) is the one that I want.
    Now I have to wait for hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nickrout wrote:
    "And is there a particular reason you are using a DVD not a CD? "

I've burned several CD's, but I cant get my CD burning programs to go slower than 16X burn speed. I don't know if DVDFabPlatinum will burn to CD. That's the only program I seem to be able to slow down to 4X or 2X.

Beans

you say you have a ubuntu machine. Why not use that to burn? k3b is the best burning programme on any platform (IMHO)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I will have to move that machine in from the garage to connect to the LAN. That'll be a task for tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Is it possible that downloading through the LAN is a problem?

Beans

why would it. if the md5sum of the iso file and the md5sum of the burned disk is ok, then you are fine.

But just to check the burn, mount the cd in your usual working ubuntu system and run md5sum manually like this:

Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    md5sum -c md5sum.txt
    md5sum.txt is a text file with the md5sum of every file on the cd. the command md5sum -c checks all of those files one by one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had a similar problem. Someone recommended using a torrent to download a new image. Worked like a charm.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

yes that suggestion has already been made (and ignored)

Beans

In post #12 he says that he used the torrent.

I had to use the alternate download just recently as the desktop version would pretend to do an install but fail on reboot. Once I did the alternate it worked fine and I just had to configure some parts manually.
    Last edited by gndprx; July 24th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Beans

oops you are right, yes torrenting is a very good way to fix a slightly broken iso download - in fact its the best way to get the file in the first place!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast