Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

I finally learned how to check my downloaded disk on a machine with ubuntu. Indications are that everything is OK.

Machine is Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon X2 4600, 2 gigs of RAM, 40gig and 150gig SATA Hard drives, on board nVidea 6300 video, IDE DVD RW drive, no tuner card yet.

When attempting to load Mythbuntu AMD64 build in the live environment, the load proceeds past the completion of the progress bar to a blank screen with only a mouse pointer (arrow), but no further.
    Attempting to install yields the same, except a, X as the mouse pointer. Both pointers respond to mouse movements, but no further loading occurs.
    Anybody have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't Load Mythbuntu AMD64

have you tried safe graphics mode?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How do I do that? Machine is new with formatted HD.
    Nevermind. I figured that one out. Trying now.
    Last edited by Ronno6; July 23rd, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No difference. Same result. Gets to arrow pointer, then all disk activity stops. No further load.

Beans

Re: MD5SUM Questions

boot the cd and run the option to check the cd. If it checks out it is OK. It is almost impossible to properly check a burned cd as there are sometimes extra padded blocks at the end of the burn, the don't affect operation of the cd. However if you really want to try checking it:

cat /dev/scd0 |md5sum

where /dev/scd0 is your cd reader device.

Sounds like you have a problem with your video card, likely its running but not showing up properly.

Once booted can you get to a console? (ctrl-alt-f1 key combo).

Have you tried the various boot options (noapic, etc etc)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you get to the terminal when you hit that point?(ctrl-alt-F1) What speed are you burning at?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have tried to Check CD for Errors, but the computer ALWAYS hangs up with the progress bar just barely off the left end(starting end.)

I have tried booting with limited graphics, and that only yields a smaller mouse pointer.

I'm waiting for a new graphics card. I'm currently using the onboard nVidea 6300 for graphics. Thing is, that nothing is running but the fans when things grind to a halt- installing,running live, checking for errors, the whole bit. Things just stop.

The slowest I've been able to burn disks is 8X. I can't slow anything down lower than that. Maybe I need different burning software? I've used Nero, DVDFab platinum,and IsoRecorder. 8X is slowest I've been able to set speed.

Ctrl alt F1 does nothing.
    Last edited by Ronno6; July 23rd, 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ctrl-alt-F1 has no effect.
    Slowest I've been able to burn is 8X. I can't seem to set Nero , DVDFabPlatinum, or IsoRecorder slower than that. I would gladly try 4x,2x, or 1x if it would cure the problem, and I could figure out how.

Beans

sounds like a bad burn. You could try a different brand of CDs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I might have to do that. I finally figured how to burn more slowly via DVDFabPlatinim. Just did one at 4X. I'm reformatting the HDD so as to have a clean starting point. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Well, on one attempt it got past the pointer only screen, to the Loading screen with the ubuntu disclaimers. Then I got hit with some SQUASHFS errors that could not read sections. Now further attempts just do as before: pointer only. I'm going to try slower burn speed, say 1x. Then, i will pretty much give up.

BTW, I'm using Verbatim DVD recordables. Don't get much better than that...............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast