Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

Beans

Exclamation From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

Hi all!
    I am new here + i just moved from Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1
    Please suggest me what i should do now (i have updated it and chosen all update types in update configuration window (don't remember name).
    I have installed wine, but it is just wine 1.0 but out there is wine 1.1.1 how i can get this package without destroying my system in future? I have installed steam + on steam i have installed Counter strike source + Day of defeat source (soon will install others). CSS quits after going into server. DODS dont have fonts - there are black [] insted of fonts. CSS cold use some beter fonts too.
    I really need professional help on this if I am to stay in ubuntu otherwise i will have no choise and install back that Vista again, but i know there is many peoples that have managet to get it working. My pc have good configuration.
    THANKS!

What ever you tell, just try not to kill my ubuntu control...

Beans

Re: From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

How can i get the newest software from its creators like latest nvidia drivers for geforce 8800 gts? Ubuntu have theyre own software dreams and sometimes it is bit older then i whant it to be

OK the biggest probleme is my wine 1.0 version...
    Last edited by klars; July 23rd, 2008 at 08:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're looking to play windows games you should keep windows around to play them. However, if you want to play around with Ubuntu to see what it's like, I encourage it. There are plenty of games you can play on Ubuntu. Two first person shooters I play on a completely random basis are Alien Areana and Nexuiz.

Edit: As far as getting the latest software, you can download them from the maintainer's websites. However you may have to compile it yourself to get it working well. The beauty of using the software Ubuntu (and it's community) maintains is that you get something that's already setup for you, and something that you know will work for you.

Beans

But there are meny who play windows games on ubuntu, am i wrong?
    Like CSS and DODS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by klars View Post
    But there are meny who play windows games on ubuntu, am i wrong?
    Yes. But it is tricky.

Beans

Smile Re: From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

Well? Enyone from you have done something like that? I am listening!

Common guys - you do know how to do that ):
    Last edited by klars; July 23rd, 2008 at 08:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have counter strike source working.

I followed this: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=3731

Beans

Cool Re: From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

Enything useful that i should do with ubuntu new installation? i am new with ubuntu and linux at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One thing you will probably want to do is install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Also this is probably a good read, how to install anything in Ubuntu: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Other than that just have fun, read the forums and ask if you need help. Some things are a bit different and take getting used to. I've loved every minute of using Linux and wish I'd switched sooner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: From Vista to Ubuntu 8.04.1

Quote Originally Posted by klars View Post
    How can i get the newest software from its creators like latest nvidia drivers for geforce 8800 gts? Ubuntu have theyre own software dreams and sometimes it is bit older then i whant it to be

OK the biggest probleme is my wine 1.0 version...
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Takes you to nVidia's driver download page. ###WARNING### You do need to have a clue when it comes to using these drivers. Unfortunately this is not "Windows Preschool" style driver loading.

Download the driver for your architecture/card. eg AMD 64 and GeForce 8800.
    Then when it is saved to your desktop you need the terminal:
    chmod +x ~/Desktop/NVIDIA*run
    then
    when you are ready to install the driver you need to do it from the terminal outside of the Gnome/KDE or whatever you use. Press CTRL+ALT+BackSpace to get there. Then CTRL+ALT+F2. Login. Then type:
    sudo ~/Desktop/NVIDIA*run
    This will start the installation of the driver.
    Answer whatever it asks affirmatively, then when it finished:
    sudo reboot
    ###2nd Warning### Every time you update Ubuntu's kernel through it's automatic update system you will need to reinstall the driver with sudo ~/Desktop/NVIDIA*run again. This gets old real fast. There is a post here somewhere about the process for doing this automatically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast