Thread: GParted issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

GParted issue

i got only one HD in which is installed a ubuntu
    if i resize this partition /dev/sda1 and create another as /dev/sda3, other than swap, which is already in there as /dev/sda2, am i going to lose everything?
    if not, so, i can backup my home directory at sda1 to sda3 after resizing and applying in GParted and, then, reinstall ubuntu in sda1?
    Last edited by Ponhovo; July 23rd, 2008 at 01:42 AM.
    Using Ubuntu 8.10, virtualizing winXP with VirtualBox 2.0
    Computer: Notebook LG E200-5100 Dual Core 2.0GHz, 1mb cache, 3GB ram, ATI x1250, atheros wireless AR5007, marvell cable modem, 12'' monitor

Beans

Re: GParted issue

Whats the new partition for? If you can back up everything why not just start from scratch,that way you can plan exactly how you want things. Partition and seemingly re-partitioning takes a LONG time and can have it's errors. I recently had to downsize my / partition a little to increase my boot, it went without a hitch but took an entire day to complete, which is probably less time then a format and fresh install in retrospect lol.
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ponhovo View Post
    if i resize this partition /dev/sda1 and create another as /dev/sda3, other than swap, which is already in there as /dev/sda2, am i going to lose everything?
    Why would you? In an unlikely case such as the electricity going during partitioning for instance, you might lose "everything". Otherwise: nope, that's fairly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponhovo View Post
    i can backup my home directory at sda1 to sda3 after resizing and applying in GParted and, then, reinstall ubuntu in sda1?
    Pretty much. Just don't expect your system to be exactly the same, it might still require some tweaking, depending on how much you had altered in the first place. Everything that's stored in your /home directory will not only be kept, but integrated in the new installation right away, if, during setup you choose to make sda3 your /home.
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

nonono...
    i wud backup, yeah
    but backup in a partition that doesnt exists yet, the sda3

can i rely that no electricity problem will make me lose my data? whats the probability that somthing like that wud happen?

sda3 wont be my home, i want to format sda1 and install a new ubuntu in there
    but backup the files theres still in there to sda3, that doesnt exist yet.

so i wud resize sda1 and create sda3 [sda2 is swap], then backup the data from sda1 of the new small size to that sda3, then format sda1, install ubuntu in sda1 and boot it with all my backup in the other partition, sda3

got it?

there`s no other way i wud backup here, coz i got no money for a external HD and its 71GB of backup, i wudnt buy so many DVD`s to burn
    Computer: Notebook LG E200-5100 Dual Core 2.0GHz, 1mb cache, 3GB ram, ATI x1250, atheros wireless AR5007, marvell cable modem, 12'' monitor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fair enough, you can copy it back to sda1 also, same thing. I did get it, I think, in the first place. Simply suggesting, since you might have to do this again sometime down the road, you might as well keep a separate /home...
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so, no way i wud lose anything of sda1, other than the little probability of falling a lightning down in my HD or myself, or, while formating and resizing, a logical error occur and mess the damn thing up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Seems so. I always do that, for me and for some friends. But I always suggest backing everything up before anything is done, just because there is a non-vanishing probability... This is a security perform, not a necessary one.

Anyway, if you try it, please post the result.
    Thiago Schiavo Mosqueiro

http://stoa.usp.br/thschiavo

Beans

always back up... especially if you upgrade to hardy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Moving his /home to the supposed-to-be-created sda3 - what is that other than a backup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

already said i cant backup if sda3 doesnt exist before resizing

well
    i resized and everything gone fine
    no data lose and no lightning =D