Thread: Best PCI Tuner for Comcast Digital OOB

Beans

Best PCI Tuner for Comcast Digital OOB

Hi,

I'm setting up a Mythbuntu 8.04 box to record Comcast digital shows (QAM tuner?). I need a recommendation for a USB or PCI tuner (NOT PCIe) that works well with 8.04 out of the box.

I just spent weeks trouble-shooting the Plextor TV402U for analog. It works but there are all these kernel downgrades/mods to get the sound working and the volume is still too low. Plus, I found out that it didn't support auto-tuning, so I have to poke channels into it one at a time. PITA.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Best PCI Tuner for Comcast Digital OOB

I purchased the HDHomeRun for this. I was using the HDHR for OTA HD and it worked very well. I have now moved (in the process actually) the HDHR to a new home. It's hooked up to Comcast and I'm only receiving the local channels. Everything else is encrypted. It's crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best PCI Tuner for Comcast Digital OOB

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices

is a good list. Make sure you the channels you want are available via unencrypted QAM first.

I've used the Kworld ATSC 110/115s
    Dvico fusion 5 lite
    pchdtv 5500

I'd just go with whatever one you could find the cheapest since setup isn't much different for any of them.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware