Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server: I've fell flat on my face with it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu Server: I've fell flat on my face with it

Quote Originally Posted by Kolipoki View Post
    I made the question because some weeks ago I reached a dead end trying to install Denyhost (well now I'm not quite sure if it was actually with Denyhost). I couldn't Putty back after my first attempt. Since I didn't find/know the workaround (and also because it was a test server ) I ended reinstalling the whole 8.04 again.

BTW, that was a great walk-thru. /thumbs up
    I think it works on 3 failures. It's pretty good, when you look at the list after about a month there were quite a few blocked.

CoXen
    CoXen

Fiesty User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for the great replies!

Hyper-ch, when I log into the server remotely, is the username the same username used to log into the box itself? and is the password the same too?

Thanks again for helping an server-noob, looking forward to replies.
    The user name and password are the same.

Edit. You could have a look at webmin, maybe a little OTT for what you want.
    CoXen

Fiesty User

Beans

Ok - update time.

I've got to the stage now where I can see two home folders on my Windows PC which is connected to the same router. It can read files off the server... but not write. in /etc/samba/smb.conf I have "read only = No" (without quotes) set for [exchange] and [software]. So I can't see why it can't write. Help is appreciated, I'm getting there!

I've also installed GNOME for a GUI to put myself back into familiar territory, I hope this doesn't complicate things further down the line?

Thanks all!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    (7) edit a new samba config in nano
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
    (8) now paste this config (alter it accordingly)
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    hosts deny = 192.168.0.1
    For a private home network, the SMB.CONF file can be a lot simpler. Here's what I use:

Code:
    [global]
            workgroup = workgroup
            server string = Storage Drive
            security = share
            deadtime = 5
            socket options = tcp_nodelay iptos_lowdelay so_keepalive so_rcvbuf=32768 so_sndbuf=32768
            os level = 65
            preferred master = yes
            wins support = yes
            create mask = 0644
            directory mask = 0755
            guest ok = yes
            store dos attributes = yes
            dos filemode = yes

[shared]
            comment = storage
            path = /home/shared
            read only = no
    I don't need to have individual accounts on my NAS box to allow my son and daughter to access the file server... nor do I get grief when they try to access it and forget that Unix IS case sensitive for usernames while Windows is not.

Of course, the above SMB.CONF is a security nightmare... but since I'm behind a NAT firewall router AND my ISP purposely blocks port 137 and 138, I have no worries that an outside hacker will get in (I hope!)

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    For a private home network, the SMB.CONF file can be a lot simpler. Here's what I use:

Code:
    [global]
            workgroup = workgroup
            server string = Storage Drive
            security = share
            deadtime = 5
            socket options = tcp_nodelay iptos_lowdelay so_keepalive so_rcvbuf=32768 so_sndbuf=32768
            os level = 65
            preferred master = yes
            wins support = yes
            create mask = 0644
            directory mask = 0755
            guest ok = yes
            store dos attributes = yes
            dos filemode = yes

[shared]
            comment = storage
            path = /home/shared
            read only = no
    I don't need to have individual accounts on my NAS box to allow my son and daughter to access the file server... nor do I get grief when they try to access it and forget that Unix IS case sensitive for usernames while Windows is not.

Of course, the above SMB.CONF is a security nightmare... but since I'm behind a NAT firewall router AND my ISP purposely blocks port 137 and 138, I have no worries that an outside hacker will get in (I hope!)

-- Roger
    Thanks for that, i've used that and can now see the drive from my Windows network. Unfortunately, when I try to access the folder, I'm denied access. I wonder whether this is due to the fact that I did not actually create the folder first on the server? If so, can someone just talk me through that? Thanks.
    Stefan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Stefan, do you have the same users on all your boxes with matching passwords? This is essential for SAMBA to work smoothly.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

I have Server 8.04 on an HP e.pc. I am trying to access it from my work laptop, which is on another domain. The server uses workgroup as its workgroup name while the laptop uses wuerth as its workgroup name. Could this be the problem? I did have it working before with server 7.04 but a friend set that up for me. that HDD died and I got a new one and am now trying to set it up for myself.

Beans

Ok, I've now changed the above code to use wuerth as my workgroup and I can now open the shared folder. However, when I try to save a file to it, I get an "Access is denied, make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use"

Any ideas what to do now? I just want to be able to access that folder from any computer connected to my network, the whole network is behind a firewall so security should be ok. I just want to be able to store stuff on the server and get to it from my laptop or my wife's computer or whatever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you are routing SMB over the internet security is definitely NOT ok. You shoulld be using VPN or some other kind of tunnel to access the shares. Am I hearing you right, you have smaba shares exposed to the internet?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

No, I'm sorry, I should probably have explained that better. I just mean any computer connected through my router or to my home wireless network. If I want to connect remotely, I will use a VPN, but I just want to get the share up and running first.
    Thanks for your help so far though!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast