Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Canon Pixma mx410 wireless printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HOW TO: Install Canon Pixma mx410 wireless printer

The information in this thread has been moved to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...rinterInUbuntu

A thread for discussion of the wiki page only can be found here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12062085

Thread closed.

This printer has a great and easy install method for Ubuntu. Unfortunately, it does not install all of the tools that the Windows version does but it will allow you to print with wireless and scan (wired only I believe) with its software scangearmp. This how to is for the wireless printer only. The download says 10.04 only but it has worked for me on 10.04 32 and 11.04 64bit, too - Also, check out the tweaks at the end of this post if you want more flexibility with resolutions and grayscale.

(this is just a note in case you get an error in the install because you had a previous pixma printer installed like a 32 bit forced onto a 64bit architecture. I had to uninstall my mx330 like this and then all was good: sudo dpkg -r cnijfilter-common:i386 3.10-1)

(For wireless conectivity, I use a router with WPS button. That can be setup easily from the printer. The manual shows how to do this on p.46. If you have one, do this step first before installation and Linux will see your printer in the install. (If you don't have WPS then there is another method but I haven't used it - check with manual) From printer console: Menuevice Settings:LAN Settings:WLAN Active:OK:Wireless LAN setup: WPS push button method : Go press WPS button for 5 seconds on router: Now click OK within 2 minutes on printer.)

OK - first, download drivers here:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0011010.asp

Place them in your Home folder.
    Untar the file (named something like Linux IJ Printer Driver MX410.tar) by double clicking on it - this will place all of the files in your home folder - some you will not need but just follow the instructions below and it will pick the correct ones for you.

You can untar the guide and the deb.tar.gz files and then install the guide and follow the directions (you can skip the preparation step in Ubuntu I believe, I did).

Or you can see them consolidated here below:

(1) Expanding the archived file and switching to the expanded directory

(on mine I had to replace the 3.50-x below with 3.50-1)

[user@zzz /yyy]$ tar zxvf cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-x-deb.tar.gz
    [user@zzz /yyy]$ cd cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-x-deb

(2) Installing the printer driver
    [user@zzz /yyy]$ sudo ./install.sh

When the installation is completed, a message instructing you to register the printer is displayed.
    Next, register the printer to the computer.
    Connect the printer, and then turn on the power.
    To use the printer on the network, connect the printer to the network.
    When the printer is ready, press the Enter key.
    >
    Check that the machine is properly connected and that the power is on. Then press the Enter key.

2. Select the connection method
    Select the connection method for this machine.
    Select the connection method to be used, and then press Enter.
    1) USB
    2) Network
    Select the connection method.[1]
    For a USB connection, enter "1" and press the Enter key.
    For a network connection, enter "2" and press the Enter key.
    The default selection value is displayed in [ ].

3. Select the printer
    From the list of detected printers, select the printer to be registered.
    (1) Example when USB is selected
    Select the printer.
    If the printer you want to use is not listed, select Update [0] to search again.
    To cancel the process, enter [Q].
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    0) Update
    Target printers detected
    1) Canon MX410 series (/dev/usb/lp0)
    Currently selected:[1] Canon MX410 series (/dev/usb/lp0)
    Enter the value. [1]

Enter the number of the printer to be registered, and then press Enter.

Good Luck - This is a great printer for the money and very sturdy. I had the 330mx until I spilled coffee on it, it was a tank. BTW don't put any beverages by this bad boy - the top has no lid because of the ADF slot so everything goes right to the inside if something is spilled - it is no good, trust me!

Here's some tweaks as well - Go to admin - printers and duplicate the printer about two or three times. Then gksudo nautilus and go into the etc/cups/ppd and click on one of your duplicates and add the following by replacing the lines with *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution with these below:

*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 300
    *Resolution 100/100 dpi: "<</HWResolution[100 100]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 300/300 dpi: "<</HWResolution[300 300]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

*OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 3
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality

You can do this to each of them and then go in through printer settings and set them to different levels - this will save lots of ink. You can even go up to 1200 dpi I believe but I'm not that crazy - there is a post about that somewhere from my mx330.

And for a Grayscale setting - you can go to one of your duplicates from the printer settings and go to job options. Scroll down and where it says add. type CNGrayscale. Then TRUE where it asks for a field and apply. This printer you should rename to grayscale because it will always print in grayscale unless you go back in and change it to false.
    Last edited by nothingspecial; June 29th, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spellcheck, added Untar the first file downloaded MX410.tar

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Canon Pixma mx410 wireless printer

Thanks for the this handy guide, I'm running 10.10, I got my printer working through wireless, which is a first for me with linux!

Beans
    Distro

Glad this helped - I would like to see the mx410 work with SANE however to use Gscan2pdf and other linux programs. I went through all the sane-backends install commands and the best results I have is this message:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x174e [MX410 series]) at libusb:002:011
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

And then scanimage only sees my webcam. Hopefully this will get added to SANE or someone will figure out a workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Based on this very cool How-To I bought the MX410. When I tried tyo run the install script, though, it gives me a bunch of errors.
    First error is that it can not determine the package type (RPM vs. DEB). If I force it to DEB in the install script, the next error is that it can not find the package files.
    I am running 10.04 64bit. I got the printer kind of working by installing the two deb files manually but am not sure whether I got all configuration files where they need to be.
    Lutz

Beans
    Distro

Hey Landersohn - I did this on my 10.04 32bit and it worked. Don't see why it would hang on 64bit.
    I'm not sure what happened on yours but I know that I started the way you ended - by installing the debs only and I think it worked well but I don't think it set up the wireless which is why I went for their method and that's what I wrote up above. If you need the wireless and/or just want to go for this again you might just want to only untar the deb file this time.

If you click on the file you downloaded: it should be called (Linux IJ Printer Driver MX410.tar) - you can then select only the deb file to untar. This way you are not even putting the rpm file into your home folder. Then make sure the file is in your home folder (copy paste it if it is not there). You may also want to untar the en file because that is the guide that says what the rest of the how to says (except for the tweaks)

With this command below you can get it opened:

tar zxvf cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-1-deb.tar.gz

Also be very careful that you type in exactly the model number in the instructions in (3.50-1 is what you should have downloaded)

then :
    cd cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-1-deb

and then:
    sudo ./install.sh

then the rest of the howto should apply. Now I did have my wireless set up with a wps setting on my router before I did any of this and that made the selecting of the printer very easy during the install. If you haven't done this then go through it - it can all be done between the printer and your router without using the computer. If you don't have the wps you can enter the password and all of that is in their printed guide either with the printer or you can download it from their usa site I believe.
    Hope you get it going.
    Last edited by texla; August 2nd, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

hello my friend can you help me with the installation of the mx410 drivers i download the drivers but can install them. I tried in one dell laptop and in one acer notebook when I try to install them trough terminal it said error. Thanks for your help

Beans

Very helpful. Worked perfectly for me. Is much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by harvc View Post
    Very helpful. Worked perfectly for me. Is much appreciated.
    Glad to hear it, harvc! Closbar, I don't know what to tell you. These types of installations can be a bit tricky for a newcomer to linux (if that is what you are - please excuse me if I am wrong!) This is why I tried to be as detailed as possible in this how to. I will try to help though:

a. One thing to be careful of is to make sure that the tar.gz file is in your home directory when you type the tar command into the terminal. Otherwise, this will surely not go forward.

b. make sure you type in exactly the model number in the instructions in place of all the 350-x lines - (3.50-1 is probably what you have)

so it should say :
    cd cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-1-deb

c. As an emergency, you could always just install the USB version by opening up the tar.gz file and finding either the 32bit or the 64 bit deb and double clicking on it depending on which one you are using. This will give a default install through the ubuntu install program and should work great but it will not give wireless like the above method does. All the tips will work though afterwards to get grayscale and different resolutions.

d. speaking of wireless - if that is indeed the method you are trying, it could be very problematic so go the USB route for now and do some research on wireless as it applies to this printer, your router at home and your laptop or desktop - those can all be sources of trouble!
    Last edited by texla; October 10th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

all i did to install is unpacked cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-1-deb.tar.gz, when i got to the folder cnijfilter-mx410series-3.50-1-deb, i did a right click on install.sh and chose open in terminal and it did all the work for me.

Beans
    Distro

That's cool - will try that as well next time!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast