Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: A Beginners Guide to Setting up Conky

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOW TO: A Beginners Guide to Setting up Conky

Quote Originally Posted by Messyhair42 View Post
    edit: got the conky running but when i get to this part of the instructions:

Terminal:Code:

chmod a+x ~/.startconky

File Manager:
    Right click on ~/.startconky > Properties > Permissions > check the box necessary to make it executable.

I dont know where to find ~/.startconky after running the terminal code

also i'm not getting any temperatures from my cpu, motherboard or hdd
    Hi Messyhair42

That file is "hidden" in your /home directory (it starts with a .)

If you read the first post there is a section for "Auto Starting" conky that you need to set up. I'll re-quote it here if you have Ubuntu or Xubuntu. If you have KDE that information is also in the first post:

Getting Ubuntu to Autostart conky.

In Ubuntu:

1. System -> Preferences -> Sessions -> Startup Programs
    2. Click on the ADD button:

In Xubuntu:

1. Applications > Settings > Settings Manager > Autostarted Apps
    2. Click on the ADD button:

Continuing in Ubuntu and Xubuntu:

3. Name: Conky <<-- anything you want
    4. Description: <<--- anything you want (mine is blank)
    5. Command: <<-- see the "Open Icon" click on that. When your home folder shows, right click to show hidden files if not visible ... and find the hidden file: .startconky. Highlight it and click [ OK ].
    6. Close
    7. Now: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backspace] to restart your session and conky will start in xx seconds, depending on your sleep command.
    Once you do that conky will start when you start your computer or a new session - New Session: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backspace]

For temperatures, the first post tells you that you need hddtemp and lm-sensors installed, but it is beyond the scope of this tutorial on how to do that. You can post your questions for that in one of these threads (I'm in all of them):
    1. Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots
    2. Howto: Get a beautiful Conky 1.4.2 setup
    3. Howto: setup Conky in Hardy and Ibex

Have a nice day.
    Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO: A Beginners Guide to Setting up Conky

Chimo Bruce!

As I promised I have come by to help out on autostarting conky in KDE 4.

it actually is just as easy as under Gnome, make your startconky script and make it executable.... as before.

Then in the Kick Off panel, click the big blue K, select the Computer tab and then System Settings.

In the system settings App select the Advanced Tab and then AutoStart in the top section.

Click "Add Script" and browse to your startconky script.

Close system settings, you are done.
    Last edited by Crinos512; February 4th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
    || Kubuntu x86_64 (15.10 Dev.) || KDE 4.9.00 ||
    || Dell Inspiron 570 || 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 RAM || AMD Phenom II X4 820 @ 2.8Ghz ||
    || Logitech M570 Trackball || Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard ||
    Conky: ... no such configuration: 'normal'

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Crinos512 View Post
    Chimo Bruce!

As I promised I have come by to help out on autostarting conky in KDE 4.

it actually is just as easy as under Gnome, make your startconky script and make it executable.... as before.

Then in the Kick Off panel, click the big blue K, select the Computer tab and then System Settings.

In the system settings App select the Advanced Tab and then AutoStart in the top section.

Click "Add Script" and browse to your startconky script.

Close system settings, you are done.
    Thank you!

You are now quoted in the first post!
    CHIMO!
    Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO: A Beginners Guide to Setting up Conky

FYI: there is an issue with using KDE 4 with a transparent conky... the wallpaper used by Plasma does not "show through".

the simple fix for this is to install feh ( sudo apt-get install feh )

then append this to the end of your .conkyrc
    ${texeci 1000 feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc | tail --bytes=+11`"}
    || Kubuntu x86_64 (15.10 Dev.) || KDE 4.9.00 ||
    || Dell Inspiron 570 || 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 RAM || AMD Phenom II X4 820 @ 2.8Ghz ||
    || Logitech M570 Trackball || Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard ||
    Conky: ... no such configuration: 'normal'

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Crinos512 View Post
    FYI: there is an issue with using KDE 4 with a transparent conky... the wallpaper used by Plasma does not "show through".
    Hmmm, No "Thank You" Button here. so ----

Thank You!

Will pop a link to this into the first post

CHIMO!
    Bruce

Beans

KDE3.5 no compiz

I am trying to get conky to be transparent with twinview enabled for 2 monitors. Each monitor has a seperate wallpaper. Normally with just one monitor/wallpaper transparency works fine with the following command.

Code:
    ${texeci 60 feh --bg-scale `dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface currentWallpaper 1`}
    I am not sure weather the problem lies with feh or dcop. If I go to kde control center --> desktop --> behavior and then toggle the show icons off and on. Then conky "transparency" works. I realize that what this does is copy the current wallpaper to the root wallpaper. If I could get dcop to do the same thing that would be great. Or failing to find the correct dcop command, perhaps just get feh to only scale for one monitor (bg-seamless, bg-tile, and bg-center don't work). Any ideas would be helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakmax View Post
    KDE3.5 no compiz
    I'm sorry I cannot help you, I'm not a KDE user and your request is beyond the scope of this little HowTo.

I would suggest that you re-post your post here: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots. There are KDE users there, Crinos512 being one of them, that I'm sure will be glad to help.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Have a nice day.
    Bruce

Beans

Thanks for your reply I'll give the other thread a shot then

Beans

Hi, I've been searching around for auto-start info for conky on compiz (specifically Ubuntu, though a general compiz-related issue I believe). Of course, most people use the sleep function as you've shown here, but there's two problems with that:-
    1. if login time takes unusually long somehow (increased startup programs or low battery situation) the time may not be enough
    2. When relogging-in without shutdown, the delay is much much longer than needed.

So, I set about looking for a way to check whether compiz was actually running. At first I saw checks for whether pidof compiz or compiz.real returned a PID, but even if a PID was available it didn't mean compiz had actually started taking control of the desktop, hence the conky window may be drawn before compiz starts.

Finaly solution, using the dbus plugin in compiz, which returns an error if compiz is not fully functional yet (initial help came from the compiz forums). So, here's how my startconky looks like:-

Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    until [ "$done" = "true" ]
    do
    	if [ $(dbus-send --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz /org/freedesktop/compiz/dbus/screen0 org.freedesktop.compiz.list | wc -l) != 0 ]
    	then
    		DISPLAY=:0.0 conky -c /home/symlinked/Conky/conkymain >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    		DISPLAY=:0.0 conky -c /home/symlinked/Conky/conkyclock >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    		DISPLAY=:0.1 conky -c /home/symlinked/Conky/conkymain >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    		done="true";
    	else
    		echo "CONKY IS WAITING"
    		done="false"
    		sleep 5;
    	fi
    done
    exit 0
    I have three conkys, so of course those lines need to be modified based on your setup. Please note that the dbus plugin for compiz must be enabled, and that if you're not using compiz, this code would mean your conky would never start from this script. If you're not using compiz, you don't need to worry about checking for it, of course =).

So, think this is useful enough for addition to the HOWTO? Or is it too technical and niche? Anyhow, I can just post it up elsewhere if you figure its not suitable here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Oon-Ee View Post
    So, think this is useful enough for addition to the HOWTO? Or is it too technical and niche? Anyhow, I can just post it up elsewhere if you figure its not suitable here.
    Hi Ng Oon-Ee,

Hey, that looks great.
    I'll link to your post in the first post.

Thanks for the support.
    Bruce

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast