Thread: Help Please, to install Belkin Wireless Card

Beans

Help Please, to install Belkin Wireless Card

Hi All,

First Ubuntu, is great, saved me from having to pay for XP to be re-installed on my PC.

Am having some trouble getting it on the internet, i have a Belkin Wireless g card and cant get it working.

I have looked in the Ubuntu help docs, and it makes it sound really easy, it says to download ndisgtk, which i have, from my laptop, this is where iam having the most trouble,it then says to install it,how do i do that????

I have looked at loads of sites and they are very hard to understand, am a novice when it comes to software.

Any help would be great and make my kids day.

Thanks

Warren

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help Please, to install Belkin Wireless Card

Apart from the fact, that there's a better way to install "ndisgtk", it'd be good to know, what kind of file the downloaded one is. I am assuming it's a .deb?!

If so, it can be installed via the "GDebi Package Installer". If that itsself is installed, a simple double-click on the .deb will do. I'd assume it isn't, since I'm certain you tried double-clicking it. In that case run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdebi
    from a terminal window first.

However, as for "ndisgtk", you can also, as done above for the package installer, run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndisgtk
    since it is in the Hardy repositories.

[EDIT]
    This obviously has to be done while on a wired connection.
    [/EDIT]
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans

Hi,

Must i have the PC connected to the internet to sort this?, i have no ethernet card only the wireless card.

I do have a laptop so thats where i got the drive for the wireless card.

To be honest, all this is confusing me. Is there no way i can get what i need from my laptop and put them onto the pc?

Thanks ( Sorry am very thick with all this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In order for my above post to work, you'd have to be connected to the net. Thought you might have an ethernet adapter.

Two questions, yet again:
    GDebi is not installed?
    And, what file extension does your downloaded "ndisgtk" have?

Theoretically, it's possible to download the source with your laptop and compile it on your desktop:

You'd have to extract the source and then run
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    from the terminal in the source folder.

But, then it might turn out that that package has uninstalled dependencies - now you'd have to download those packages and compile. Maybe one or more of those again have uinstalled dependencies...
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...