Thread: how to intall/run

Beans

Angry how to intall/run

hi,
    i am very new to ubuntu so please pardon my ignorance. i have no idea how to run or install anything. i downloaded a free dvd player but its just sitting on my desktop. its called cdvd.exe. i try opening it or running dvds on it but it does nothing. i assumed it will install/run itself as in windows. can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: how to intall/run

Use synaptic to install programs. It's in System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.

That cdvd.exe won't run on ubuntu unless you have WINE, it may not work at all. What's this program for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You cannot download exe's and run them natively in Ubuntu. You can run it in Wine, though you can never be 100% it will work. Trying looking for applications in the Synaptic package manager or download the .deb installers for your desired applications.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans

exe's are windows executable files, so it may or not run under wine, first I'd check for a linux version or alternative, if it's to play DVD's then I'd recomend the default media player after installing the restricted extras package(see how to install anything in ubuntu, your after ubuntu-restricted-extras), or try VLC is which is a nice choice. there's also guides on how to install wine, although it's easy enough.
    http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, first off Ubuntu will not run Windows .exe files as it is GNU/Linux.
    That being said, A program called wine allows you to run some Windows programs in Ubuntu.
    It is reversed engendered and that is why it does not always work perfectly. ( Micro Soft are not going to tell us how Windows does things that is why wine has to be reverse engendered. )

To install wine go to the add/remove programs in the menu at the top of the screen when it comes up type 'wine' ( without the ' s ) that will filter the list of programs to all that are wine related.
    Then just click the check box next to the entry for wine and click apply choose ok/apply on the remaining dialogs.

After it is done you will have a new entry in the applications menu called wine, their will be an entry to configure wine run that.
    Many windows programs will work now.

Wow I type slow!
    Last edited by 16777216; July 22nd, 2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: A lot of people type faster than me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: how to intall/run

".exe" file are Windows executable files.

You honestly DO NOT want to install that on your system. There isn't any need for it.

Try this link for a little more information.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=828342#2

- zipperback

Beans

i tried getting WINE but when i tried to install it it said 'Can not install 'wine' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.) '

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You really shouldn't be bothering about that "cdvd.exe", there are a lot more and better media players available for Ubuntu.
    Besides, this cdvd.exe seems to be some Windows spyware, or at least it's from a doubtful source (according to Google). Anyway don't try to run it with WINE.

Just enable the Medibuntu repos (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) and get a decent media player using Add/Remove.
    Last edited by aomlives; July 22nd, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bedhed View Post
    i tried getting WINE but when i tried to install it it said 'Can not install 'wine' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.) '
    Open Synaptic Package Manager (System, Administration menu), click the Edit menu at the top, then 'Fix Broken Packages.'

Beans

Smile Re: how to intall/run

thank you all very much. i shall try all your suggestions. thank you.